Women’s Rugby After hiring their new coach Danny last Christmas, Women’s rugby has gone from strength to strength. With 15 freshers turning up to trials Charlotte, The current President, is looking to build on their success last year and get promoted from their current league, BUCS South 2A. Also playing in the newly formed LUSL, Women’s rugby is always looking for girls to try something new and get involved. If you’re interested in anything about women’s rugby, email [email protected]

Football With over 300 freshers signing up and 150 turning up to trial with only “logistics” to get in his way, Pete Woodhead, 1st team captain, is looking to build on the strength that the 7 football teams showed last year. Looking to increase their membership from last years 130, IC Football has a second round of trials on Saturday, with training on Monday. If you missed the first round or are interested in playing, be it for the 1sts of the social 7ths; all are welcome, just get in touch with [email protected]

Women’s Football Despite their squad being devastated by the amount of recent graduates leaving their side Josie, the captain, is still optimistic; “This is the first year of LUSL and we think we can really make an impact. We’ve got some good freshers coming through this year.” Playing Football and Futsal, with a large number of people showing interest and coming down to Harlington for trials, their first game is away at Roehampton on the 17th.

Hockey With over 60 freshers, ranging from experienced county players down to complete newcomers, making the trek to Harlington for trials this Wednesday was always going to be productive for Hockey. The women’s team, that had an outstanding season (winning South Eastern 2a, the ULU premier league, the ULU Cup andthe BUCS Cup), last year alone had 22 prospective players brave the first training session and traditional hockeystick spin and run afterwards. Watching a 6ft 8 fresher try and put his head on a hockey stick and spin round? Hilarious.

Rugby After winning promotion last year, ICURFC was looking for a good intake of big strong freshers. Luckily, 50 likely lads braved the Harlington wind for trials. After going over the basics, coach Brimah refereed a fiercely competitive, if somewhat scrappy fresher game. Captain Jack, who thought the trials went smoothly despite a lack of bibs, wants to build on promotion; “We want to finish mid table this year, with our 2nd and 3rd teams being promoted up” With a team entered into LUSL as well, rugby are always recruiting new or experienced players. Email [email protected] for details.

Gaelic Football & Hurling An Englishman, an Irishman and a Portuguese man walk into a bar, and smash the place while trying to play gaelic football. With ever growing multiculturalism, uptake in Gaelic football at Imperial is increasing each year. Experienced players and newcomers alike took to the field for a run out before the first fixture on the 26th. Hurling, a faster and more aggressive mix of lacrosse and hockey had “huge interest” at freshers fair. If you want to try something different this year, email [email protected]

Rugby League Under the helm of a new coach, and with regular training sessions rugby league is looking to break out of their current Merit League and into the BUCS setup. “The session went really well – I’d forgotten how much I loved contact sports” claimed Rugby League fresher James Holt at the bar in 568 after the trials. Training in Hyde Park on Wednesdays at 2pm until they move to their new floodlit facilities at the Linford Christie Stadium, RL has games every week starting in on the first week of November.

Swimming and Water Polo On Wednesday Swimming and Water Polo had their first taster session and had an amazing turn out, with around 80 people. From people swimming for fitness through to seriously competitive water polo players, there are more sessions today at 1930 for swimming and 2045 for water polo. Email [email protected] for more details.

Boxing After their first successful training session yesterday, Imperial College Amateur Boxing Club are offering four sessions in the Union Gym a week. With classes regularly attended by 30 boxers, and with an IC fighter reaching the semi-finals of the British Boxing Series, the club is looking to expand to sparring with universities outside of our regular London based events. Whether fitness or competitive fighting is your goal, there is another free taster session tonight between 6-7 and Saturday 4-6, whatever your ability. Email [email protected] with any queries.

American Football American football season got off to a great start on Wednesday with the first of two ‘come and try’ sessions attracting a very large turnout. Which (unsurprisingly) was retained as the club bonded in the Union later that night with Imperial’s Cheerleading squad, the IC Titans. The ‘come and try’ sessions offer Imperial students a chance to try the main skills and positions required of a successful football team and it is an opportunity that many eager students took. Six drills allowed new players to rotate through passing, catching, running and defending skills, while letting the experienced, often American, players to show off their abilities. Those students who did choose to come down virtually unanimously agreed that the afternoon was a success and displayed a flair and ability which promises to make the upcoming season Imperial AFC’s most successful. For students who are interested in either American football or cheerleading, details of upcoming events and taster sessions can be found on Imperial College Union’s “What’s On”.

Triathlon Imperial Triathlon Club saw record interest at this year’s Freshers’ Fair, so alongside Cross Country Club over eighty people met for a club run around Hyde Park. Meeting three to four times a week, with circuit training Mondays, cycling Richmond Park Wednesdays, running Hyde Park on Thursdays and swimming Friday mornings. People of all abilities are welcome to go, whether to compete or just to keep fit. With a 5k run and duathlon (run-bike-run) coming up in November, so if you’re interested in a race, email [email protected].