Animal testing has always been a very controversial topic amongst people. A lot of research is conducted at Imperial and sometimes this may involve the use of animals. The currently policy on the Use of Animals in Research states that “animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be

In the Government commissioned Ipsos Mori poll, it was revealed that there was a ten-percentage point decrease in public support for scientific research involving animals since 2010

essential”. This means that every possible method that does not use animals is considered and only if there are no other options, animals will be used. Even when animals are used, this is kept to the smallest number of purpose-bred animals.

Work involving animals can only start once Imperial College’s Ethical Review Process and the Home Office has approved it. The policy adds that “animals will never be used for trivial purposes and their health and well-being are given the highest priority”.

Minimizing the numbers of animals used in experiments is an achievement that can be commended from the National Centre for the Placement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs). Researchers that make an effort to reduce the number of animals used can win this award and PhD students from Imperial College have won this prize in previous years.

In the Government commissioned Ipsos Mori poll, it was revealed that there was a ten-percentage point decrease in public support for scientific research involving animals since 2010. Results showed that only 66 percent of people agreed with the statement ‘I can accept animal experimentation as long as it is for medical research purposes’ compared to the 76 percent in 2010. This significant decrease has stirred a declaration to be formed on the ‘openness of animal research’. In October, Imperial College was proud to announce that they had signed this declaration.

Professor Maggie Dallman, Principal of the Faculty of Natural Sciences commented saying ‘The results of the Ipsos Mori poll suggest that we need greater openness about why such research is important and what it involves. I hope that this declaration will give organisations and individual scientists the confidence to speak out with the support of the wider research community.”