You can’t call yourself a fan of speculative fiction if you’ve never heard of Neil Gaiman. He has made a name for himself with his prolific writing, not only with novels but also for the screen and in comic books. Yet until recently I had never read any of his longer works. Wanting to remedy the situation I thought that there was no better place to start than with American Gods – his most highly acclaimed novel.

Winner of the Hugo, Nebula, Locus and Bram Stoker Awards the book focuses on Shadow – a man recently released from prison who finds that his wife and best friend have died in a car crash. At a loss of what to do with his life he accepts a job offer from the mysterious Mr Wednesday and becomes his bodyguard, driver and occasional accomplice in large confidence tricks. Mr Wednesday, however, isn’t a simple conman and Shadow soon gets drawn into a war between the old and new gods – a war for the heart and soul of America.

This is highly ambitious and successful novel, exploring themes of loss, power and betrayal. It has a large cast of complex, engaging and well-developed characters – many of who do not necessarily contribute directly to the main overarching plot but add depth to the book’s universe and are simply a joy to read about. Shadow himself is very satisfying as a main protagonist – with a powerful and believable character arc as he grows from someone who is still obviously shell-shocked from his wife’s death to a man who is confident in himself and his abilities.

The main focus of the book, however, are not the characters, nor even the plot, but rather the United States themselves. Throughout the course of the story we explore many places in that great country – from cities to small towns to cheesy tourist attractions. It explores the various contradictions of that place – from the beliefs and desires of its immigrant founders to its present day obsession with media and technology. I believe that Gaiman himself put it best, saying he considered the book to be “sort of weird, sprawling picaresque epic, which starts out relatively small and gets larger. It’s about the soul of America, really. What people brought to America; what found them when they came; and the things that lie sleeping beneath it all.”

This is a truly great novel: deep and profound but also very entertaining. An HBO adaptation is set to premiere next year so now is the perfect opportunity to read it.

Gaiman’s other work

Sandman

A long running and award-winning series of comic books following Dream, one of the Endless – personifications of fundamental forces in the universe. An imaginative and original work that spawned countless spin-offs. Highly recommended for all fans of fantasy.

Anansi Boys

The sequel to American Gods, this novel follows the children of one of the earlier novel’s most popular characters, Mr Nancy – the personification of the African god Anansi. Lighter and more comic in tone the book explores themes of family and finding one’s calling in life

Mirromask

A major fantasy film with a screenplay written by Gaiman. A simple story is supplemented by stunning original visual effects

A Study in Emerald

Gaiman’s Sherlock Holmes pastiche, incorporating elements of the Cthulu Mythos. Very well written with a unexpected twist this is a massive treat for fans of both Sherlock Holmes and Cthulu Mythos stories.

Neverwhere

Gaiman’s urban fantasy tribute to the city of London. Appeared as an acclaimed BBC TV series before being novelised.