Despite of, or perhaps because of, classics being so heavily emphasised in secondary education and being beloved of critics they are certainly not the most liked of books of ordinary people. They are often considered dry, irrelevant or just plain boring.

Some of my favourite books, however, are classics and I believe that they are just as vibrant, interesting and powerful as the latest releases. While they may seem old fashioned, believe me, there is a reason why they have stood the test of time. Here I present just a few of these books – give them a read and I promise that you won’t be disappointed.

Ann Veronica

H.G. Wells

One of Wells’ less known novels this is, on the face of it, a love story between the rebellious Ann Veronica and her university lecturer, Capes. While the romance plot is in itself engaging the main attraction of the novel is the compelling picture it paints of the difficulties of life as a woman in the early twentieth century – with a focus on the suffragette and suffragist movements.

While not a particularly major part of the novel, Ann Veronica might be of particular interest to Felix readers since the eponymous protagonist is a student at Imperial College.

Dracula

Bram Stoker

Probably the most famous vampire novel ever, Dracula requires no introduction or synopsis. On one level a simple and satisfying story of the fight between good and evil, it is also a masterful exploration of temptation and primal desires. The story is told in the form of diary entries, newspaper articles and letters – giving the book a unique feel and presenting the action from many different points of view.

Sherlock Holmes

Arthur Conan Doyle

Doyle’s 56 short stories and 4 novels may not be of the highest literary quality but the accounts of Holmes’ cases always provide a fun read.

Crime and Punishment

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

While at some times it may be fairly slow Crime and Punishment remains a powerful exploration of guilt and redemption. It does require some effort to get into but it is, ultimately, a very rewarding read.

Huckleberry Finn

Mark Twain

Often called “the great American novel” the book is surprisingly engaging and readable. Following the eponymous character as he escapes from home it paints a striking picture of the southern United States.

Great Expectations

Charles Dickens

An archetypical Dickens novel following the rise and decline of the fortunes of young Philip Pirrip, usually referred to simply as Pip. Both a brilliant character piece as well as an insightful exploration of life in early nineteenth century Britain.

Quo Vadis

Henryk Sienkiewicz

The most famous novel written by Sienkiewicz. Following the struggles of Christians in the early Roman empire, many translations are available and it was made into a major Hollywood film in the 50s.

Faraon

Bolesław Prus

Probably the most obscure novel on this list, but also, I believe, the best. Prus has long been one of my favourite authors – Joseph Conrad quite accurately described him as being “better than Dickens”.

Available in English translation under the titles Pharaoh and The Pharaoh and the Priest the book charts the fall of Egypt’s New Kingdom through the eyes of the fictional Pharaoh Ramesses XIII. While perhaps not entirely accurate the depiction of Ancient Egypt is brilliantly vivid and engaging. Prus paints a detailed picture of how the country is run – making it both relatable as well as wonderfully exotic.

The overarching plot obviously draws elements from the eighteenth century collapse of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth but can also be seen as representing and analysing the decline and fall of old and decadent empires in general.

The other strand of the novel is the personal story of Ramesses XIII. He is an eminently likeable character – starting out brash and immature but being forced to grow and develop as a result of his increasing responsibilities. He eventually becomes a wise ruler with plans to reform and strengthen Egypt, which are tragically prevented by circumstances beyond his control. Prus is a master of tragedy and this novel’s ending is unmatched in poignancy.