Best Actor:

Joaquin Phoenix

The Master

Wide-eyed, hunched over and completely disturbed and damaged to the very core, Phoenix is bang on in the middle of Paul Thomas Anderson’s incredibly challenging, dense drama. His extremely volatile nature is a tour-de-force of a performance, one that grabs your attention from the get-go and holds on despite the difficult turns and developments Anderson often presents.

Best Actress:

Marion Cotillard

Rust and Bone

As a killer-whale trainer who goes through a horrific accident, Cotillard’s nuanced, carefully measured performance is a thing of wonder as she fiercely dives into the complex persona of a double leg amputee faced with the many challenges of everyday life. Both inspirational and emotionally devastating, this is yet an

Best Supporting Actor:

Matthew McConaughey

Magic Mike

No-one does sleazy, greasy and sneaky as well as McConaughey can, which is why he is the perfect fit for his male strip club owner act. With his thick Southern accent, sly slinky moves, cheeky confidence and sly grin to top it all off, he is the comic highlight of the film, whilst also wisely never underplaying the “antagonist” aspect of his outstanding role that simply outclasses his many other co-stars.other showcase for this outstanding French actress who pushes the boundaries.

Best Supporting Actress:

Helena Bonham Carter

Great Expectations

In a role that seems to have been written specifically for this English actress even before she was born, Carter excels in occupying the role of one of literature’s most famous jilted brides, Miss Havisham. Adding enough kooky craziness in her creepy wedding dress whilst also revealing a subtle touch of stirring humanity, she is the most fun, but also tragic part of an otherwise dull and dry film.

Best Director:

Gary Ross

The Hunger Games

Turning a popular franchise of novels aimed at teenagers, making it as potent and meaningful to the adults is a difficult task, but Ross was certainly up for the challenge. With his intimate, up-close, shaky camerawork injecting plenty of realism and suspense into the futuristic thriller, it’s no wonder this became such an unexpected hit with a wide demographic. Shame he’s not involved in the many sequels to come.

Rising Star of the Year (Male):

Jeremy Irvine

He was hand-picked by Steven Spielberg to take part in his World War I epic War Horse and his success didn’t end there: with lead starring roles in Now is Good, and Great Expectations, this young English talent appears to stand a good chance in making it big in this tough business, with Spielberg calling him the new Christian Bale. Up next is The Railway Children, where he will stand alongside Oscar winners Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman.

Rising Star of the Year (Female):

Elizabeth Olsen

No longer having to live in her older twin sisters’ shadow, Olsen has become a movie star in her own right. What started this off was her unforgettable debut performance in the brilliantly ambiguous Martha Marcy May Marlene and she has since followed that up with equally memorable supporting turns in Silent House, Red Lights, and Liberal Arts. She has also been cast in the Hollywood remake of South Korea’s Oldboy.

Ensemble of the Year:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Penelope Wilton, Celia Imrie, Ronald Pickup (and Dev Patel… sure, he can get in on this list) – a cast list doesn’t read better than this. And despite the choppy direction and unsure narrative that prevented this from becoming a mediocre crowd-pleaser, the English legends help sell the story. It’s no surprise to see this turned out to be the sleeper hit of this summer.