15) Brave

Pixar seems to strike gold with every film they produce and their 2012 effort is no exception to this rule. The tale of a young, red-head princess (voiced by the feisty Kelly Macdonald) is a charming, sweet treat full of action, comedy and heart.

14) Looper

An emotionally charged, intelligent sci-fi full of slick action and clever strands of narrative that all weave together, it uses the complex theme of time travel to its advantage. Joseph Gordon-Levitt also shows he can take charge as a competent leading man.

13) Killing Them Softly

Gangster films don’t always require bullets and bodies to be compelling, as director Andrew Dominik proves here. With obvious parallels made to the world economy and politics, the cleverly written script is also given proper treatment by its superb cast

12) Silver Linings Playbook

A romantic-comedy with an off-beat twist of mental illness, here is a bold but sensitive probe into characters who are far from perfect. With outstanding performances all-round, it builds up to a rousing, resounding feel-good finale.

11) Life of Pi

Chances are, this is the most beautiful film you’ll see this year, as Ang Lee has captured the unfilmable, adapting the best-selling novel of the same name. That the film doesn’t have a lot to say doesn’t matter; you’ll be blown away regardless.

10) Moonrise Kingdom

Wes Anderson is at his best in which he explores the trials and tribulations of a couple of 10-year-olds who are on a quirky romantic adventure of a lifetime. It’s a delightful journey looking at innocence, hope, love and perhaps giving life another shot.

9) Without a doubt the biggest movie of 2012, it’s not at all surprising that Joss Whedon’s superhero ensemble smashed all sorts of box office records. Well constructed, finely detailed and above all, hugely entertaining, this is exactly what the summer needed.

8) Pitch Perfect

Glee without all the cheese and the repetitive “be yourself” vomit-inducing, corny messages, this is funnier and smarter than that show wil ever be. Also featuring Rebel Wilson in a star-making turn. Best Supporting Actress Oscar? Why not?

7) Chronicle

With darker spins, less budget, and more honest perception into the corrupt side to power, here is the superhero film to beat in the future. Featuring three very different but relatable characters, it’s an exciting addition to a predictable genre.

6) End of Watch

Handheld filming methods seem to be overdone these days, but under the right hands, it can turn even the more tiresome genre into one of the most exhilarating cinematic experiences. with utmost realism, fresh banter, and plenty of hardcore action.

5) Amour

Michael Haneke is an arthouse favourite, as his patient but invasive methods are hard to ignore. His latest is by no means a cheery affair, dealing with a slow death of a woman, but in its quiet, understated direction, there is plenty of beauty to be found.

4) The Hunt

A consistently haunting, morally reprehensible tale that couldn’t have come out at a more appropriate time. It features a powerful performance from its lead, Mads Mikkelsen, as an innocent kindergarten teacher falsely accused of paedophilia.

3) Seven Psycopaths

The weirder, wackier and wilder it gets, the better. Martin McDonaugh’s follow-up to his highly acclaimed In Bruges, is more hysterical, more bizarre, and even more watchable. Plus you get plenty of pure gold Christopher Walken moments.

2) Argo

Ben Affleck cleverly sustains nail-biting tension juggling a hostage situation, a secret CIA operation, Hollywood involvement, politics, intermittent yet effective comedy, all put together perfectly to produce his best directorial feature yet.

1) Beasts of the Southern Wild

Yes, it’s probably a film not many people have seen yet, but trust us when we say that this truly is the most spectacular piece of filmmaking of this year, which may come as a shock, as no big names are involved, and it’s a feature film debut for a first-time director. And yet what Benh Zeitlin (director) manages here is to create a whole new different world for the audience to become a part of, a world so powerful, colourful, rich and touching that you would want to immerse yourself fully into and explore the unknown. Quvenzhané Wallis, only a five-year-old girl at the time of filming, gives a performance so tender and beautiful (I’M THE MAN!!! I’M THE MAN!!!) that she can stand alone at the film’s centre and completely grab our attention. Heart-breaking at times but undeniably stirring even at an incredibly short length, you owe it to yourself to go see this movie.