This week we’ll be taking a detour into the mysterious world of so-called “math-core”. Math-core is to post-hardcore what Imperial is to UCL: the same, just a bit cleverer. There are countless math-core bands that have left their mark on post-hardcore music but the one I’m reviewing this week is rather more low-key, a hidden gem from none other than Birmingham.

Blakfish formed in 2000 as mere schoolchildren but went on to be one of the greatest UK math-core bands of their time, even going on to support Biffy Clyro on a 2010 European Tour. They released various E.P.s followed by an incredible full-length during their time together. The release of their most recent E.P., See You In Another City, made a big impact amongst fans of UK math-core for it’s sarcastic yet catchy lyrics and indie/hardcore hybrid sound. This record saw their popularity rise significantly but it wasn’t until the release of their debut album Champions that they really got a glimpse of life as a band outside the underground scene… and they didn’t like it. After the release of Champions, Blakfish were performing at much bigger shows including Sonisphere and, as mentioned before, the 2010 Biffy Clyro tour. This increase in popularity however meant there was no time left for them to enjoy life and Blakfish ceased to exist mid-way through touring with Biffy Clyro. Nonetheless, Champions lives on and continues to inspire math-core fans old and new.

SYIAC and Champions are both comprised of songs primarily about everyday things that got on the band members’ nerves like driving in London or vegetarians. This, along with the genius of the lyrics gives the tracks a strange charm, I guarantee that if you listen to their songs you will be singing along to almost every line in agreement. Their sound adds various extra dimensions to the mix with heavy riffs and roaring vocals united with upbeat choruses and melodies. Their distinctive style makes this band a definite must for angry hardcore-lovers and fans of softer indie alike. Check out the recommendations and if you like what you hear then buy the album, it’s more than worth it!

Writer’s Recommendations 1: Listen to ‘Your Hair’s Straight But Your Boyfriend Ain’t’. It’s basically just Blakfish moaning about fashion. Brilliant. 2: Listen to Blakfish’s true Christmas anthem ‘The True Meaning of Christmas’