Bruce Springsteen is finally back. After the unfortunate death of his long-time friend and music companion, saxophonist Clarence Clemons, the Boss has been preparing for the release of his 17th studio album titled Wrecking Ball packed with a tour across the US and Europe starting late March.

For those of you not belonging in the hardcore fans of Springsteen you may have the image of an American wearing a red bandana and singing a patriotic anthem called ‘Born In The USA’ back in the 80s. This is not what Bruce Springsteen has been for the past 40 years of his career; at least not just that. His music has been inspired by figures like Bob Dylan and Elvis and has also been a great inspiration for fellow New Jerseyan Bon Jovi, the Foo Fighters and many more. Springsteen’s work has always been about “judging the distance between American reality and the American dream — how far is that at any given moment.” as he mentioned at a press conference held in Paris mid-February.

From the iconic Born To Run and the struggle to escape from a dead town, to the massive hit album Born In The USA inspired by the pain and despair the Vietnam War brought to the Americans, to The Rising and its elevating spirit after the 911 hit, Springsteen has always embedded in his music and lyrics traits of the American society, backing up the blue-collar guy, judging those responsible for the decline of his hometown, for the constant fading of the American Dream.

Wrecking Ball is an album inspired by the latest financial and socio-economic crisis. The album opens with ‘We Take Care Of Our Own’. The artist assesses the current situation of his homeland before he strikes the listener with a series of questions the rest of the album tries to answer:

“_Where’s the love that has not forsaken me Where’s the work that’ll set my hands, my soul free Where’s the spirit that’ll reign rain over me Where’s the promise from sea to shining sea_”

The next few songs, ‘Easy Money’, ‘Shackled And Drawn’, ‘Jack Of All Trades’, ‘Death To My Hometown’ take a look at the injustice that has surrounded the actions of “_the bankers_”, “_the fat cats_”, “_the greedy thieves_” who destroyed everything and their actions were left unpunished. Different characters arise, similar to each other, sharing the same feeling of anger and disgust. They seek salvation and cleansing through criminal methods – Is this where we’re heading? At that point ‘The Depression’ reveals the vulnerability of the working man. Hope is long, long gone and all the narrator needs is the love of his companion during these hard times.

The other half of the album has a more upbeat tone. ‘Wrecking Ball’ sets the “image where something is destroyed to build something new”. The optimism is carried on on what I think is the best song on the album, ‘Land Of Hope And Dreams’. Containing elements of Curtis Mayfield’s ‘People Get Ready’ and demonstrating Springsteen’s Catholic upbringing, the song marks the movement “from guys who are really very angry to guys who are angry but constructive”. The song’s spiritual intro followed by Steven Van Zandt’s magical mandolin and Big Man’s emotional saxophone moment join perfectly with Springsteen’s passionate voice and meaningful lyrics. The album closes with the uplifting ‘We Are Alive’, which incorporates portions of Johnny Cash’s ‘Ring of Fire’. The song is filled with voices of those that died making a stand “_Well, I was killed in 1963 one Sunday morning in Birmingham”/ “Well, I died last year crossing the southern desert”. Their spirits, however, live on and their “souls will rise to carry the fire and light the spark_”.

Wrecking Ball is no Born To Run or Born In The USA. Personally, I would place it somewhere between _The Rising _and Magic, labelling it as one of Springsteen’s best albums during the past 20 years. It’s so amazing to see a 62-year-old rocker carrying the same spark he had when he was performing in Asbury Park 40 years ago. Having been experiencing with various music types and singing, he presents a stunning piece of work which combines rock, folk-rock, gospel and even hip-hop elements. Although not an original E Street Band record, the production by Ron Aniello, joined together about 40 musicians, including many guest performers - Tom Morello plays electric guitar in two songs – creating a solid album that came to remind us that Bruce Springsteen, living through his 4th career decade, has so much to say, so beautifully.