The Russell Group has agreed to extend its membership to four more universities. Durham, Exeter, Queen Mary and York are the four institutions that will join the traditionally 20-strong association of public research universities, of which Imperial College London is a member.

The Russell Group, established in 1994 after an expansion in the university sector, will now represent 24 UK research-intensive universities. The group works towards its main aim of leading the UK’s research effort by lobbying the government and parliament. It has recently come into opposition with students’ unions over its strong support of the introduction of tuition fees. The four new institutions were all previously members of the 1994 Group, which represents smaller research-led institutions, and now stands at 15 members.

Professor Michael Farthing, Chair of the 1994 Group and Vice Chancellor of the University of Sussex responded to the departure with the following statement: “It is disappointing that these institutions have decided to leave the 1994 Group, but I wish them well in their new mission group.”

Professor Michael Arthur, Chair of the Russell Group and Vice Chancellor of the University of Leeds, said of the news: “[the newly joined universities] have demonstrated that – like all other Russell Group members – they excel in research, innovation and education and have a critical mass of research excellence across a wide range of disciplines.”

The new universities will become members in effect from August 2012.