Plans to record lectures are set to finally come to fruition next academic year. College is set to work with video capture platform Panopto in order to ensure that lectures are made more accessible to students.

The collaboration will result in live lecture streaming, the opportunity to view previous recordings at any time, the ability to view lectures on mobile phones and tablets, and follows suggestions by students listed in Imperial College Union’s response to the 2011 National Student Survey Report.

Panopto was founded in 2007, and was built with technology developed at Carnegie Mellon University’s School of Computer Science. The platform now serves several markets and institutions with video capture technology.

This academic year the system was piloted in every faculty with over 1,000 successful recordings made by staff.

Deputy President (Education) Jason Parmar, who also sits on the e-Learning Strategy Committee involved with the plans, said: “it has been fantastic to work with the committee and see resources be dedicated to this innovation in teaching. It will improve educational access to students and improve the student experience here at Imperial so I hope as many lecturers as possible will take advantage of it.”

The beginning of Autumn Term 2012 will see an anticipated gradual introduction of the scheme, though implementing the video capture is entirely at the discretion of lecturers.