The Boy with Tape on his Face aka Sam Wills has been causing something of a splash in recent year. From street performances in Covent Garden he has shot up the comedy league tables with hits at the Fringe, the Melbourne Comedy Festival and, in 2011, the Royal Variety Show. His unique brand of comedy has to been seen to be believed.

Hearing, of course, is not an option. His tricks make extensive use of props and audience participation all orchestrated with twitching eyebrows and beckoning gestures from behind his trademark strip of gaffa tape. The Kiwi performer’s silent routines call to mind the innocence of vaudeville as twee violin music sets the sound track to his childish, yet immaculately conceived stage antics.

The Boy was kind enough to answer a few questions for Felix ahead of his, now sadly finished, London stage show.

Meredith: How did you first enter performance?

The Boy: At the age of 13 I knocked on the door of the local clown in my town and asked if he would take me on as his assistant. I knew a few magic tricks and he taught me how to juggle.

M: Where did the idea for the character of the Boy with Tape on his Face come from?

B: I used to do a show that involved a lot of talking and me performing some pretty crazy circus sideshow stunts. After several years doing shows like this I wanted a new challenge so I decided to develop a show that had no words and no tricks.

M: How did it feel to be asked to do the Royal Variety Performance last year?

B: It was one of the highlights of my year. Growing up, The Royal Variety Performance was a really big deal, so to have been the first New Zealand comedian to make it onto the stage was a fantastic feeling.

M: What did princess Anne say to you?

B: I decided to keep the tape on when I met her as I thought the 20 seconds conversation wouldn’t be that interesting and a photo would be better. I did secretly record the entire conversation and you can listen to it on my website.

M: What is it about the character of the Boy that gets such a reaction?

B: I think that people like something different to the overload of talking comedy and the fact that it is a bit of a throwback to vaudeville times. People like innocent humour and stuff that appeals universally.

M: Do you feel vulnerable on stage without being able to speak?

B: Not at all! If anything I am the one with the most power as I know exactly what is going on.

M: Do you feel you are getting your own back by convincing others to perform in stage?

B: I would never want anybody onstage to be in an embarrassing situation as, for me, that is not funny. Every volunteer will leave the stage to a huge round of applause as they have helped the show happen.

M: How do you go about finding new ideas for material?

B: I listen to a lot of music and I try and look at everyday objects in different ways. It can be a little hard at times as you end up holding something like a broom for half an hour trying to find something funny about it that nobody has ever noticed.

M: Do you use real gaffa tape?

B: I use a super quality brand of tape called Nashua 357. I ship it from Australia to my parents who the post it to me here in the UK as it is the strongest tape I have ever used… and no it doesn’t hurt when I take it off.