The Impossible

Reese Witherspoon, an Oscar-winner herself, sent a fan letter to Naomi Watts recently, praising her “brutal physical performance,” “the ferocity of [her] mothering spirit” and “soul touching moments.” And Ms. Witherspoon is spot-on when describing Watts’ contribution to the harrowing, unforgettable film based on the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. The last time a famous actor (Julia Roberts) endorsed someone’s performance (Javier Bardem in Biutiful) so publicly, he ended up with a nomination. It’s a safe bet to assume the same will deservedly happen for Watts.

Looking at the film as a whole, it’s an incredibly moving story of a family torn apart by this terrible tragedy, bruised and battered by unstoppable nature, and its equally horrific and challenging aftermath. The waves crash-landing have impeccable scale and genuine terror, whereas the more human aspects of the drama, strengthened by exceptional performances from its cast find plenty of power and genuine emotions despite some rare but probably unavoidable missteps into hampering melodrama.

Jack Reacher

Tom Cruise steps in to portray the character of Jack Reacher, a man of many skills with a mysterious past who suddenly appears to help out an old acquaintance who has been accused of senselessly murdering five seemingly unconnected, innocent people on a regular day. All the incriminating evidence points towards a certain James Barr and as more is revealed, his lawyer Helen Rodin (Rosamund Pike) finds it increasingly difficult to find holes in the story.

But being who he is, he comes up with cunning ways to outsmart the bad guys, and in the end you know where the film is headed – that we see a completely different shooter in the film’s opening ensures us that the accused is innocent, and it’s really the process into proving this that the film focuses on.

It certainly over-reaches into thinking that it’s dealing with a cleverer, bigger plot than it really is, and towards the end, the big reveals aren’t at all shocking or in any way smart. But the charming box-office draw Cruise still appears to have what it takes to lead an action picture.

Quartet

A less jumbled, funnier, more touching version of 2012’s hit, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, here we have the unrealistically beautiful Beecham House, a retirement home for musicians. Their days are filled with charming songs, light and breezy humour and plenty of sunshine that really doesn’t make ageing look so bad.

Every year theresidents stage a concert, the proceeds from which they use to keep their sanctuary running. With tickets more difficult to sell, they need something big. And it just so happens that there are four of the greatest singers in English operatic history staying at this place. But with a chequered past, old age, and the occasional memory lapses, will the four (Maggie Smith, Tom Courtenay, Billy Connolly, Pauline Collins) be able to save their beloved care home?

Reading the plot may makethis come off as a preposterous, sugar-coated nonsense which technically this is. But with a cast this talented and an atmosphere this warm and fuzzy, it turns into that feel-good film you probably shouldn’t like but do anyway.

The Hobbit

Peter Jackson, after a long, difficult journey of putting this prequel together with numerous production delays, budget problems and creative differences, finally has one-third of it out in the cinemas. His decision to split the film into three has not been the most popular, and the slow, dragging pace is certainly felt in part one of The Hobbit, this one titled An Unexpected Journey. There is a merry band of dwarves who set out on a quest to reclaim their kingdom that has been invaded by an angry dragon. The wise wizard Gandalf the Grey enlists the help of Bilbo, a gentle-natured, home-loving Hobbit, in joining their quest.

One worries for these men as they can hardly seem to defend themselves against pretty much anything dark that comes their way, and just how on earth they’ll go about tackling a fire-breathing dragon is anyone’s guess, butfor now, here is a beautiful, lengthy but often thrilling view of their Middle Earth road trip that even after almost three hours of running time only in fact gets them just a couple of thousands of miles away from their actual destination.