The Ocean at the End of the Lane Neil Gaiman Released June 18

After eight long years genre favourite Neil Gaiman is finally set to return to adult fiction with The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Gaiman has been relatively quiet about this book but, as with his previous work, you should expect a well written and deeply atmospheric gothic tale. Gaiman has won more awards than I have space to list and, in my opinion, has never written a bad novel so this book is a must.

The Unreal and the Real Ursula K. Le Guin Released January 3

There are few SF authors who could claim to be most influential than Ursula Le Guin. Including both acknowledged classics, like the award winning The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas as well as less known works, this two volume set is great for both fans and Le Guin novices. Each story beautifully displays Le Guin’s skills, both in characterisation and plotting as well as in writing style.

The Republic of Thieves Scott Lynch Released July 13

The long awaited third novel in Lynch’s Gentleman Bastard series. Lynch is rightfully acclaimed for having created an intricate and unique fantastical setting heavily influences by Renaissance Italy. While the previous novel was let down by poor characterisation it was still one of the best 2007 fantasies. The perfect opportunity to get your epic fantasy fix – at least until the latest Patrick Rothfuss novel is released.

Dead Ever After Charlaine Harris Released May 7

The final novel of the Sookie Stackhouse finally hits the shelves. While the series could never claim to be intellectually satisfying it has always been good fun as a guilty pleasure and this book looks set to be a fitting conclusion. With the sixth season of True Blood, the hit TV show based on the series, set to begin in June this is the perfect opportunity to catch up with the books that started it all.

The Human Division John Scalzi Released May 14

Acclaimed author and Science Fiction Writers of America President John Scalzi returns to his Old Man’s War universe with an experimental ‘episodic’ novel. Each chapter is partially stand-alone and will be released individually in the months prior to the full book’s release date. Having been favourably compared to the works of Richard Heinlein and John Campbell this is certainly worth checking out.