The first meeting of the Union Council was held in the Union Dining Hall last Monday. The Council, consisting of over two dozen student representatives – including the Management Group chairs and Constituent Union presidents, is the main policy making body of the Union and is subordinate to only the Trustee Board.

While most of the meeting consisted of start of year reports from senior Union officers there was also a discussion on the Union’s policy towards under 18s. Campaigns Officer Christopher Kaye raised the point that current Union policy of barring under 18s from the Union for ticketed events such as the Freshers’ Mingle might leave them feeling left out. A number of Council members who started their courses at 17 confirmed that they had often felt isolated and secluded from the wider student community in their first year.

Union President David Goldsmith, however, said that the policy was in place as a safeguard against any incident with underage drinkers. He reminded the Council of the strict government alcohol licensing regulations, saying that “if there was an incident with a 17 year old the Union’s license would be taken away”. Marissa Lewis, Deputy President (Welfare), said that every effort was being made to make younger freshers feel included – pointing in particular to the success of this year’s Alternative Mingle – “a free event with … non-alcoholic refreshments”. Goldsmith also added that the Union is keen to have events which appeal to both drinkers and non-drinkers – confirming that he does not want to see a divide form between the two groups.

The next meeting of the Union Council will be held at 18:30 on Tuesday, October 29 in the Union Dining Hall. All member of the Union are welcome to attend and contribute to the discussions, though only members of the Council have votes. Nominations are open until Sunday, October 13 way for the 16 Council Ordinary members, the directly elected student representatives on the Council. Voting itself opens Friday, October 18 and closes on Tuesday, October 22.