Firefighters in England and Wales are due to hold a strike this Wednesday as a response to proposed changes to the pension scheme. This will be the fourth such strike this year. The government proposed changes include cutting the pensions of those firefighters who retire early for health or fitness reasons by up to 47.1% to £9,000 a year and increasing monthly pension contributions from £320 to £340. In a press release the Fire Brigades Union (FBU), which represents over four fifths of fire and rescue staff in the UK, said that the current pension scheme is already “one of the least generous because employers pay one of the lowest proportions compared to other public service employers”. FBU General Secretary Matt Wrack added: “After 35 years of service – and paying at least £4,000 a year – firefighters could now receive just over £9,000 a year or the sack simply because fitness declines as they get older. Firefighters simply want an affordable and workable pension that reflects the job we do. But with employee costs going up, firefighters are being priced out making the scheme threatening its sustainability.” Responding to the proposed action Fire Minister Brandon Lewis said: “The FBU’s fourth strike day contradicts its claims to want to resolve this dispute through negotiation and further damages the good reputation of firefighters with the public … A firefighter who earns £29,000, and retires after a full career aged 60, will get a £19,000 a year pension, rising to £26,000 with the state pension. An equivalent private pension pot would be worth over half a million pounds and require firefighters to contribute twice as much.” The FBU, however, is keen to point that “government’s own research says that up to 92% of current firefighters won’t be able to maintain operational fitness until 60 and will have to leave with a significantly reduced pension to avoid a fitness related dismissal.” Wrack maintains that “we’re keen to resolve this through negotiations, but the government is simply ignoring all the evidence we have submitted.” While the FBU has already accepted an agreement over pensions with the devolved Scottish government its negotiations with Westminster seem to have reached a stalemate, with firefighters set to vote on other forms of industrial action in addition to the strike. The strike is scheduled to take place between 10am and 2pm and the public has been advised to take additional precautions to avoid the risk of fire.