What: The Dead Wait Where: The Park Theatre, Finsbury Park, N4 When: Until 1st Dec 2013 Price: £12 students, £18 adults

South Africa, 1989, and Josh Gilmore is poised to become the first white man to break the 10-second barrier for the 100m, and be made a hero by the racist regime. He is conscripted while the South African Defence Force is taking an unofficial part in the Angolan Civil War, under the command of Captain Papa Louw. This is Angola. One wrong turn and you vanish forever, my brother. They capture a wounded and somewhat distinguished black freedom fighter, and Papa orders Josh to carry him back to the border to be interrogated. But as they painfully make their way through the bush, a bond is forged between the conscripted soldier and the prisoner, that will forever change Josh’s views on his society. The Dead Wait is written by and stars Paul Herzberg (Papa Louw), who served in the South African army in Angola himself. Through this breath-taking play, Herzberg reveals the struggles faced by a divided continent, finding himself a few years before the end of both the Apartheid and the Cold War. The play is focused on three characters incarnating opposed concepts, on the eve of a major historical leap: Papa Louw, the aging, cultivated but impulsive officer, incarnates the white racist, brutal and traumatised authority, hardly ruling South Africa with a minority under the Apartheid. He will have to face the truth commission in the 1990s. George Jozana (Maynard Eziashi), aging African National Congress leader in exile in Europe for many years, comes back to Africa with the hope that his homeland will soon recover peace, freedom and democracy. Josh Gilmore (Austin Hardiman), the white athlete, caries the hopes of his country’s government. As the new generation, he is also able to incarnate reconciliation between his countrymen. The interactions of this trio are extremely rich and well exploited by Herzberg, whilst the intimate stage of the Park Theatre brings all the audience in an astonishing experience under Joe Harmston’s direction. Clearly, The Dead Wait is an excellent play to go to with friends in London’s newest, hippest arts venue. The only drawback is the theatre’s location, slightly north of the West End. But surely Zone 2 is not enough to discourage drama amateurs! To them, I say it’s a very good play, with excellent actors and an interesting historical basis: you should go!