Ladies and gentlemen, we have come to the last album of our trilogy, and thus the last of these articles. However I promise last should not be least! ¡Tré!, as the last album is called, features the drummer on the cover as well as carrying his nickname. It was released a month before schedule, due to the band cancelling their promotion tours. Green Day, in accordance with their attempt to vary musical approaches on each album, decided to go for the stadium rock style, with the odd punk rock song thrown in (a lá Dookie). There is a more grand feeling to this album, especially when in some songs when you have the string arrangements and vocal harmonies.

Carrying on the ‘party’ analogy from the previous article, where the ¡Uno! and ¡Dos! where the pre-party and party music respectively, this is the music you hear the morning after. Thus it is somewhat more melancholic and nostalgic (well I don’t imagine you’d be very happy when you’re cleaning up). It all works, and the three albums do jam together very well, even though they are relatively different.

This album had/will have two singles released off it. ‘The Forgotten’ may seem familiar to you, as it was chosen to be part of the soundtrack of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2. If it doesn’t seem to ring a bell, Hooray! All the Green Day fans who listen to this song, and watched the movie will invariably connect it to that movie. Apart from its horrible associations, it is a very good piece of music, a piano ballad that pulls at your heartstrings. Yet I feel that compared to the rest of the trilogy, the song is kind of boring to be honest. The other single (in fact the first official single) off the album, is ‘X-kid’ which will only be released on the 13th February. Now this song is more like it. Typical Green Day, it has a great chord progression, strong vocals and Mr. Cool does a great job on the drums. Certainly one of the top songs of this album!

It was very hard, trust me, excruciatingly so, for me to choose the best songs that really describe this album. All the songs were so really good, and had something to offer. However I did have to have a choice. Honorary mentions go to; ‘Brutal Love’, for its grand style, ‘Sex, Drugs and Violence’ for the amazing lyrics and ‘Amanda’ for the best Green Day solo I have heard in a while. Now to the actual winners. Bronze goes to ‘Dirty Rotten Bastards’, a song reminding me of ‘Jesus of Suburbia’. A medley of different songs that mesh so well. It is such a interesting song, that is amazing to listen to and also just fun. I could not face leaving it off the list, because parts of this song are outstanding. For example, the bass line in the middle of the song is divine. When I hear that I just wanna jump up, and buy myself a bass and learn that melody. Silver goes to ‘Walk Away’, a piece of music that starts relatively slowly, building up the tension, until with a bang it bursts into a beautiful song. The collaboration of White and Armstrong is very apparent in the combination of White’s guitar and Armstrong’s vocals overlaid, and it works so well. If Green Day keep churning out songs like this, I will be very happy. However they one up it, with the winner of Gold, ‘Drama Queen’. This song is so beautiful it almost hurts. The acoustic guitar, the vocals, the piano notes, the guitar solo. This is where I use my copyrighted term, “eargasm”. A pure eargasm. The topic of the song is also great, having to deal with growing up/getting older, which I can imagine lots of Imperial students can associate with. Not only do I think this is the song of the album, in fact I think this is the song of the trilogy. This is one of the best Green Day songs I have heard.

In my opinion, this is an absolute masterpiece of an album. The perfect balance of high energy songs, and slow ballads it hits all the right notes (pun intended). The nostalgia that you feel in this album applies well to the trilogy as a whole. Everything must come to an end, but Green Day manage it in such a way that is absolutely stunning. I am sorry if this may seem somewhat cliché, but I give this album a 55, because it is so rockingly awesome. Please, if you didn’t buy the previous albums, have a go at this one. If you did follow my advice and got the other ones, you know what you must do!

All in all the trilogy was a great set of albums. It really worked out, and Green Day really outdid themselves. I really hope that they create more beautiful music like this, to keep those eargasms coming!