Obama, the new Nixon?

Obama has found himself in some trouble over the past few weeks. After being accused of sexism for calling the new attorney general the “best-looking”, Obama faced embarrassment as his gun background check bill was defeated in the Senate, a strong victory for gun lobbies.

More recently, the Justice Department has been accused of spying on Associated Press (AP) journalists by obtaining months worth of phone records. This has highlighted the growing worry regarding the relations of the White House, the press and respecting its freedom and the First Amendment.

Obama has since been described as a 21st Century Richard Nixon, tainting an already troublesome beginning to his second term.

Marriage for All

The Commons passed the same sex marriage bill for England and Wales and French President Francois Hollande signed the law allowing gay marriage and adoption. Gay marriage in France has seen a strong response for both pro- and anti- groups. The passing of the law has led to uproar from far-right groups. A renowned French historian has committed suicide in protest. A rally is planned for Sunday to protest against the law.

Tories Torn over EU

David Cameron found himself once again in the spotlight after Michael Gove and Philip Hammond declared they would vote to leave the EU. The spin game begins and the Prime Minister is attempting to present a united Party and Coallition front on the European question. It’s like watching an episode of The Thick Of It all over again.

Iranian Elections in June

600 people have registered to stand for the role of President, with only eight allowed to run. President Ahmadinejad will be stepping down. Little political change is expected as the candidates are mostly hardline conservatives.