Congratulations are in order for Iron Man 3 and its associated Marvel Universe, as within 3 weeks of its international release date, the third Tony Stark picture has already generated more than one billion dollars at the worldwide box office. Robert Downey Jr.’s latest effort joins a surprisingly long list of films that have already done so, although to his credit, a lot of the films on the list reached the milestone near the end of their box office runs. Given Iron Man 3 still has a long way to go before it is pulled from the theatres, we can expect the film to keep moving up in its total gross. And although Downey Jr.’s return for a possible fourth adaptation remains in doubt, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige expects the Iron Man franchise to remain “as evergreen as James Bond.” But to celebrate the biggest money-making films so far, Felix Film takes a look at just what made each and every one of them so special that audiences worldwide flocked to the theatres to watch them on the big screen.

1. The Dark Knight

Worldwide gross: $1,004,558,444

Why? Anticipation was through the roof for Christopher Nolan’s follow-up to his highly praised Batman Begins and the press coverage on the sudden death of its star Heath Ledger certainly put the film on a lot of the front headlines. His outstanding performance as the Joker (he won an Oscar for playing a Batman villain – this never happens) was every film critic’s talking point, and the overall reviews could not have been more ecstatic. Its opening weekend was the highest on record at that point, and it held steadily on, slipping very little throughout subsequent weeks, although in a cheeky move, the studio did re-release the film in the States to push its total money intake past that billion line.

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Worldwide gross: $1,017,003,568

Why? With Peter Jackson returning behind the cameras to take us back to Middle Earth, no LOTR fan would have said no to this. There were concerns over Jackson splitting a rather thin book into three films but this gamble seems to have paid off since the first in a trilogy has already made a billion. No matter how long or seemingly dull, Jackson’s visual mastery is always worth catching on the big screen. This also enjoyed the big Christmas and end-of-year push, typically the hot-spots for studios to release their big epic films. And let’s not forget about the brilliant Andy Serkis, without whom Gollum wouldn’t exist.

1. Alice in Wonderland

Worldwide gross: $1,024,299,904

Why? Summer came early in 2010 as audiences rushed to the screens to keep their important date with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. The Burton-Depp pairing is one that is hugely appealing given the right accessible source material (so no, films like Ed Wood don’t cross the billion mark). This was smartly marketed by Disney as a colourful, all-round fun experience for the whole family, whilst also cashing in on the then-newly booming business of adding an extra dimension and therefore throwing in some glasses and a couple of quid to the ticket prices. Outstanding international ticket sales came from Japan, where it grossed $130 million + (its 11th best non-Japanese film).

1. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Worldwide gross: $1,027,044,677

Why? Everyone loves to hate the new Star Wars films, and it all started here, with a billion-dollar grossing prequel. George Lucas, in his high and mighty standing in Hollywood, was paid an unbelievable sum of $400,000,000 in total for his efforts on the film - that’s more than a lot of films even dream of making in their run. Because of the phenomenal hype surrounding the film, few major studios dared releasing anything in the same week as Lucas’ big space comeback. An estimated number of 2.2 million full-time employees missed work days to attend the film – it was that much of an exciting film event. The 2012 3D re-release helped surpass one billion.

1. Iron Man 3

Worldwide gross: $1,035,973,000

Why? It hasn’t even been a full month since its release, and yet here sits Tony Stark’s third outing, proudly at number 13 in the highest worldwide grossing films of all time. You can expect the film to climb up several spots at the end of this summer. Stark (played by the irreplaceable Robert Downey Jr.) is without a doubt the most popular character of the Marvel Universe, and given the great big success of Avengers Assemble, immediately following that record-breaker no doubt helped boost the overall numbers. It’s raking in money from China ($64 million + opening weekend – highest ever), after a special-cut featuring local actors and scenes appear to be going down well with audiences there.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Worldwide gross: $1,043,871,802

Why? After the dud that was At World’s End where very little made sense, Disney commissioned another outing for Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp – always the reliable blockbuster box office draw), retaining very few of its original characters (Geoffrey Rush stayed on – hurrah). Business in the States was disappointing to say the least, falling massively short of its predecessors, but it’s the international market that contributed to $800 million of its total gross. Italy poured in an impressive $108 million into the final count, with the next highest coming from China with $70 million.

1. Toy Story 3

Worldwide gross: $1,063,171,911

Why? Dubbed as a film that would make even grown men cry, this was one of the best reviewed films of 2010 (Rottentomatoes places a 99% fresh rating), as well as the highest grossing film of 2010 (both in the States and internationally). The kids loved it, and frankly, so did the adults, with many young adults reminiscing the days they watched their first two Toy Story films as children back in the 90s. Everyone loves and trusts Pixar to come up with something witty and heart-warming time and time again. Also benefitting from the 3D push, it had very little competition (if at all) in its first two weeks (Jonah Hex, Grown Ups, Knight & Day), in which the film generated $250 million in the States alone.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest

Worldwide gross: $1,066,179,725

Why? The Curse of the Black Pearl was such a huge hit that greenlighting sequels couldn’t have been a difficult decision – and with the full cast on board, only success was in store for this immediate sequel. Its 2006 opening numbers, $135 million, was a record-setter, smashing Spider-man’s 4-year reign at that point. It ruled the top for three straight weeks, and was the fastest film to earn $100 million, $200 million and $300 million back in 2006 (all these records have since been smashed but for a non-3D, non-superhero themed picture, this was quite an achievement seven years ago).

1. The Dark Knight Rises

Worldwide gross: $1,084,439,099

Why? The Aurora shooting might have put a bit of a dent in the North American box office numbers (this one falls $90 million short from its predecessor in the States) but any film with words “Christopher Nolan” and “epic conclusion” was bound to make a boat-load of cash and it did, with its top foreign market coming from the United Kingdom with a final tally of $90 million + (2nd best of 2012). Its rather long running time (165 minutes) as well as its dark, depressing undertone were not at all off-putting it seems, and very loyal online fanboys (there are lots) were ferociously attacking anyone who had a bad word to say about the film.

1. Skyfall

Worldwide gross: $1,108,561,013

Why? 007 was in dire need of a fresh new start even since Quantum of Solace came out and ruined whatever good that was set up from Casino Royale. With Sam Mendes stepping into the director role, Daniel Craig returning, a meaty sub-plot for the fiercely talented national treasure Judi Dench, plus that Adele song, many agree that Skyfall is the best 007 film yet. As UK’s highest grossing film of all time, 007’s home country added a whopping $160 million + to its international total, and the rest of Europe (France and Germany in particular) followed, with China also not far behind. With Christopher Nolan now in talks to direct the next one, can this record be broken in a few years’ time?

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Worldwide gross: $1,119,929,521

Why? Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy came to a fantastic close with Return of the King, where epic battles and emotions swept across the screen over a 3-hour running time – the build-up from The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers paid off here, and sweeping the Academy Awards in 2004 gave the film an ever-so slight bump in the box office. The Christmas/end-of-year season was also in play here, as well as the promise of a grand scale and extraordinary spectacle. One of the earliest to cross the billion mark, when 3D wasn’t in use, this is no doubt Jackson’s biggest accomplishment.

1. Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Worldwide gross: $1,123,745,996

Why? Critics hate Michael Bay, but that’s of no trouble or any consequence to the director, as he will always have his loyal followers of action-junkies who only ask for some dumb fun, which is exactly what is delivered here. “I make movies for teenage boys. Oh, dear, what a crime” he says, and it appears this is his motto for making any of his films. But kudos to him – many of his films are consistently regarded as box office success stories and ideal for summer audiences, where students are out of school. The Asian market (China, South Korea) gave some significant input too, where the robot franchise is hugely popular.

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Worldwide gross: $1,341,511,219

Why? The final film of one of the most successful film franchises in history, this finale conjured up $32 million worth of advance tickets, setting a new record, whereas the $169 million North American opening weekend made history, until it was beaten a year later by a group of superheroes. More impressive (as if the film doesn’t have enough to boast about), its worldwide opening of $483 million in one weekend is still the one to beat. Better luck next time Avengers. Audiences loved seeing Hogwarts get torn apart by evil wizards/witches, and the ensuing battle was suitably thrilling with the large ensemble cast giving it their all.

1. Avengers Assemble

Worldwide gross: $1,511,757,910

Why? Raking in $207 million, this holds the record for the best North American opening. Ever since the first couple of Iron Man films convinced Marvel to pursue something bigger and bolder, every film before Avengers Assemble (Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk) has been hinting at a possible massive group project. Finally hitting the screens in 2012, Joss Wheon of Buffy/Angel/Firefly fame certainly did not disappoint. Undoubtedly the biggest movie event of 2012, a long list of records were smashed, although it didn’t fly as high as some were anticipating (i.e. didn’t reach number 1 internationally). But being number 3 is still incredible, and with a sequel on the way, perhaps that can aim higher.

1. Titanic

Worldwide gross: $2,185,372,302

Why? From this point on, we’re only dealing with films that have crossed the TWO billion dollar line. Only two films have done so, both directed by the same man, James Cameron that show-off. Well, where to start with this one – there was the Leo-fever, where women worldwide couldn’t get enough of its leading star, Leonardo DiCaprio, there was that song ‘My Heart Will Go On’, the tragic love story, plus the final spectacular hour of where the ship sinks, killing a whole load of people along with it. This holds the record for spending the most number of consecutive weeks (15) at the number one spot in the North American box office, and even in its 3D re-release, people loved it – 15 years on.

1. Avatar

Worldwide gross: $2,782,275,172

Why? It’s the same pattern with James Cameron – there is a lot of talk surrounding his new project, because it’s so ambitious. A trailer is released, everyone hates it and guarantees that his latest big-budget epic will tank severely and won’t make any money. And yet once released, he’s the king of the world. (Unadjusted for inflation), no film in the history of Hollywood has crossed $700 million in America, and neither has foreign gross crossed $2 billion, until Cameron came along with his blue Na’vis and took over the 2009 Christmas season with his new film. Despite stiff competition from Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks, audiences just could not be kept away from what would become the biggest film of all time.