As CollegeHumour once said: “The two things you could always kill in videogames were nazis and zombies, there was no moral ambiguity there. So to combine them is just brilliant!” Now combine this with the award winning game Sniper Elite, and it seems like you have a high chance of a really fun game. The game Sniper Elite on its own is a tactical sniper simulation, set in world war two. With heavy focus on gameplay and realism, it was quite a fun game to play. Furthermore Sniper elite included an absolutely visually brilliant X-Ray kill cam, which played on every other successful long distance head shot. Now considering the way that many games have gone (Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption etc.) releasing a zombie version is not that farfetched.

When I got this game it was £3 on steam which is pretty much a steal, however normally it is £10 which is quite a bit less than any other game you would get, so not that bad either and considering that this game came out about 6 months ago means that the price is actually pretty good. The premise of this game is that you are a bunch of soldiers from WW2 (both sides) who must figure out how to stop Hitler’s ill-planned plan Z, which has caused all of Germany to be overrun by the undead nazis. However if you really consider it, the plot is actually non-existent and you couldn’t care less about the characters (except the reporter guy with the fedora, he was pretty epic!). Nevertheless if you consider what you are playing (a shooter where you eliminate nazi zombies) you can understand why twists and character development may be lacking.

Its the game play where this game should shine and in fact does so quite satisfactorily. It has been compared to the Left 4 Dead experience with the stages, objectives and safe rooms and this is the kind of game you should expect. While some of the typical things that you would expect are not present in this game (e.g. rolling, jumping etc.) it does not really detract from the playing. Furthermore the mechanics of the shooting are doing excellently well, especially the sniper (the “focus” of the game). They are not quite as realistic as the normal Sniper Elite but considering how realistic your opponents are, the more arcade style is completely fine. However the thing that makes the nazi zombie Sniper Elite really a special combination is the X-Ray cam. Blowing a zombie’s brains out over 80 meters away is very satisfying in itself. Combine it with slow motion bullet flight and consequent gory X-Ray vision of the bullet entering and leaving the zombie will just have you jumping up and down in glee. Every kill was made so much more of a success with this. The graphics themselves are not top notch, but still very watchable. However the eerie setting and attention to detail makes up for this in every way. In fact you don’t really look at the graphics that much when you are focusing on.

Considering all these things above makes the single player experience very enjoyable, yet since this is not really a complete game in its own right, I can imagine that this mode can get very repetitive. Once you have gone through all the modes there is not much else, although saying this I currently have 10 hours on the single player, and am still going strong. Its the Co-op where this game really delivers. With up to four players in one session it can get really hectic and fun. I played this with a friend and it was on par with some of the best sessions I’ve had for a long time. Since you are playing with others the game experience will always be different, and adding to that the setting and gameplay, trust me, will be great. If you are looking for a great game to kill time, as well as have a great experience with your friends without breaking the bank, I would advise you to seriously consider this. It is so intense and yet relaxing, I haven’t found better! I mean for £10 how many epic zombie kills in slow-mo are you going to get?