What could be better than curling up with a good book? That’s right, curling up with a good book that you got for free! That’s why the Science Fiction, Fantasy and Gothic Horror Society is bringing back our hugely popular Book Blind Date event. Last October we found new homes for over fifty great books and this term it’s all going to be even bigger and better.

Come along to the Beit Hall entrance archway at 12:30 on Wednesday, January 22 to pick up your free, high quality second hand book. All the books will be tightly wrapped to make what you’re getting a surprise. Your only clue will be a set of keywords written on the wrapping paper. But don’t worry – we’ll make sure that there’s something for everyone. So, whether you’re interested in dying-Earth science fiction, magical realism, Lovecraftian horror or any other sub-genre, come along to see what we have. Last time the event was very popular so be sure to turn up early to avoid missing your chance to pick up a free book.

If your free gift stirs up your passion for genre fiction don’t forget to check out library in the Beit West Basement. Open every weekday in term time from noon to 2pm, and often also in the evenings, it’s the perfect place to meet up with likeminded people and watch some of your favourite films and television shows on our widescreen TV. We have a collection of over 9000 books and 2000 DVDs, which can be borrowed by any of our members.

For more information about the other great events that we run throughout the year check out our website at icsf.org.uk. The highlight of our calendar is our annual literary convention, Picocon, now in its thirty first year. Picocon 31 will be taking place on Saturday, February 22, with the theme of ‘Survival’. Guests of Honour will be Sarah Pinborough (The Dog-Faced Gods Trilogy, Mayhem), Charles Stross (The Laundry Files series, Accelerando) and Professor David Southwood (President of the Royal Astronomical Society and Patron of the SF Foundation). Come along for a full day of talks, panel discussions, silly games, quizzes and much, much more. Tickets are now on sale from the Union website.