Imperial College and Imperial College India Foundation will be increasing the size of their scholarship programme. The scholarship is for Indian postgraduate students who have an outstanding academic background and reside in India. The programme initially begun in September 2013, this year two full Master’s scholarships and one full PhD scholarship will be available. The foundation is supported by alumni and Imperial College.

Sir Keith O’Nions, President & Rector of Imperial College said: “The expansion of these scholarships builds on the historic and flourishing relationship between Imperial and its Indian alumni and supporters. Their support is central to this scheme and we’re grateful that their generosity has enabled it to grow further still.”

The first person to attain the Imperial College India Foundation PhD scholarship, Mr Singh, commented that:

“I am thrilled to have been awarded this scholarship. Studying in such an international environment, alongside world-leaders in their field is a precious opportunity. I’m very grateful to everyone whose generosity made it possible.” Mr Singh wil begin his PhD in 2014 in the Mechanical Engineering department at Imperial.

The scholarship launch happened at the same time as Sir Keith’s visit to India this January. The visit lasts 11 days and Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata will be visited during his 11 day trip; each city will have an alumni event where he will meet with a variety of representatives.