An Australian man has admitted causing the death of two men, one of whom was the Imperial College researcher Dr Sean Barrett, by dangerous driving.

Dr Barrett, 36, had travelled to the West Australian city of Perth on October 16 2012 to attend a quantum physics conference but was in the country for less than an hour when the taxi he was in was hit by a speeding 4x4. Dr Barrett and his driver, Kuldeep Singh, 28, died instantly.

Speaking in the Supreme Court of Western Australia last week Prosecutor Therese Austin outlined how Anthony Fogarty, 24, had led the police on a high speed chase around Perth in the 4x4, which had been reported stolen several days previously. Mr Fogarty, who has never held a driving license, was clocked at speeds of up 170km/h (105mph). The ground pursuit was eventually called off to reduce danger to the public. However, a police helicopter observed the car running a red light on Orrong Road and hitting the taxi. Subsequent tests showed that Mr Fogarty had high levels of cannabis and amphetamines in his blood.

While Fogarty, who escaped from the crash with only a broken leg, initially denied being the driver he was overheard in prison admitting to his guilt. In a court sitting on 21 January of this year he pleaded guilty to the charges against him, saying: “I just want to apologise to the families. I know sorry won’t bring them back, but I still want to let them know I am sorry.”

Dr Barrett had studied at Cambridge University for his undergraduate and postgraduate degree. His doctoral work was on quantum information processing in a condensed matter system. He moved on to a junior position at HP Labs in Bristol, eventually returned to Imperial College London where he held the Royal Society University Research Fellowship. At the time of the accident, he had been lecturing for one year.

A statement from Imperial College praised Dr Barrett’s research, adding: “His loss will be greatly felt by the scientific community. Our thoughts and condolences are with Dr Barrett’s family, friends and colleagues at this tragic time.” Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, his mother, Jan Barrett, described her great loss saying: “Everybody absolutely loved him and had great respect for the work he was doing. He would have gone on to do more great things.”

Speaking of the incident, Ms Austin said: “This is a case in the very worst category – he drove intoxicated, at excessive speeds through suburban streets, in gross contravention of traffic laws, whilst evading police with no intention to stop”. Fogarty will be sentenced next month.