The final day of sporting events at Teddington Sports ground took place last Saturday, 18th October. Things kicked off at midday and carried on late into the evening, with matches taking place throughout the day.

Imperial College London staff, some of the Officer Trustees and Senior Medical Staff from Imperial College School of Medicine were in attendance, with many bringing their children and pets. Deputy President (Clubs and Societies), Abi de Bruin, said that the atmosphere was very pleasant: “It was very much a family day – it was a great vibe.”

Sports games took place over the day, including lacrosse, netball, and the men’s and women’s rugby teams playing. The Imperial Medics team, the Legends, played against a team of alumni players. The Legends, captained by the ICSMSU President Dariush Hassanzadeh-Baboli, beat the doctors by around 20 points.

About 400 people were thought to have attended the event in total.

The event represented a final send-off for the grounds, which have been used by the medical students since 1935. Lord Beaverbrook, a consultant, bought the land in 1935 and gave it to St Marys Hospital Medical School, which went on to form Imperial College of Medicine in 1997.

Despite initial protests to save the Teddington grounds and ensure their continued use after Imperial College purchased Heston, this was the last time medics will be playing on the grounds.

Dariush said of the event: “It was very sad to say goodbye to Teddington, but the day was a success and we would love to replicate it on an annual basis, with many older students and retired doctors in attendance.”

“It was well received and enjoyed by all. There was great food and a great social atmosphere.

I would like to thank Charlotte Duggan, Leena Barret and the sabbatical officers for helping to organise it.”

From this point on, medics will be playing matches at Heston, half an hour’s drive away from Teddington. Heston, home of the BA Members club, is close to Heathrow airport and features both indoor and outdoor facilities for student use.