On Wednesday thousands of student protesters took part in a march against student tuition fees. The protests turned violent when the students reached Parliament Square.

Signs seen around Parliament Square included the slogans “books not bombs” and “free education, tax the rich”.

Some students were able to dodge police and push through two sets of metal barriers in order to gain access to the square.

Some were also wearing balaclavas in order to obscure their face. Red flares were also set off next to the Houses of Parliament.

19 year old Joe, who refused to give his last name, said that “David Cameron is misguided and deluded because of his sheltered and out of touch upbringing. It’s his closed education that has given him his views not logic.”

Police made eleven arrests in total and two people were held for questioning after charging at the Conservative Party headquarters.

After the protest, the Department for Business said in a statement: “We recognise the right of all students to free speech. However, the world-renowned calibre of the UK’s higher education system would not be sustainable if tuition fees were removed.”

The Metropolitan Police released a statement on the matter, which said: “Various missiles were thrown at the officers and protesters pulled down protective fencing around the grass area in Parliament Square.”

The National Union of Students (NUS) did not endorse the protest, and their office was amongst those to be attacked. Graffiti, including the word “scabs”, was later found on the building.

Demonstration organiser Aaron Kiely, who is a member of the NUS Executive committee and the Student Assembly Against Austerity, said: “We want to end the lifetime of debt which is a massive burden for students.”

“Students are really angry because we go to University and then at the end of it we get an average of £40,000-worth of debt.

“That puts you in a hell of a difficult position when you start to think about a mortgage and a family. We need an alternative.”

The Union is yet to decide its stance on Higher Education Funding, as it still in the process of conducting the Higher Education Funding Survey. Deputy President (Education) Pascal Loose said: “The Union doesn’t have a stance or policy on this issue yet, however Officer Trustees and staff of the Union were welcome to attend if they took leave.

“ Of course, if there is an issue that our members want us to campaign for, then we encourage them to bring a paper for discussion to Union Council or come along to the General Meeting on 1 December at 18:30.”

The General Meeting will take place in Blackett Lecture Theatre 1.