Earlier this year Imperial College London, in collaboration with the Institute of Cancer Research and University College London, launched The London Movember Centre of Excellence. The new centre has been created to redefine and personalise the care given to men with prostate cancer and was funded by the Movember Foundation and Prostate Cancer UK.

According to Movember’s main website, the main aim of the charity is to raise awareness and funds in order to change the face of men’s health. Each year thousands of males grow moustaches in the month of November to spark conversation and to generate donations towards the Movember charity fund. Movember and Prostate Cancer UK are investing a total of £10 million over five years in the London centre.

One of the main aims of the charity is to raise awareness of Prostate cancer, which is the most common cancer in men. The centre will bring scientists together to help improve the lives of men with prostate cancer. The researchers will look for genetic and cellular signals that can help identity high risk patients as well as those that can help in the selection process of therapies used in the later stage of the disease.

Alongside this, the centre will focus on training those who will become the future leaders and the drive behind prostate cancer research. They hope to start testing new therapies and diagnostic tools within five years.

Professor Charlotte Bevan, from the Department of Surgery and Cancer at Imperial, said: “The Centre will enable scientists and clinicians from each of the three partner institutes to work together to really make an impact.

It is a great vision that Movember and Prostate Cancer UK have, to bring together complementary expertise to expedite results and change for patients and we are excited about being part of it.”