Charity Week, a fundraising event ran by Imperial College Union Islamic Society (iSoc) earlier this month, managed to raise £83,401.70, breaking all previous records the club held.

The week, spanning from the 29th November, included a black tie dinner; an auction; an intersociety quiz; a girls-only pampering and fashion day; volunteers trekking up Snowdon; and an inter-uni football competition. iSoc also ran daily cupcake and doughnut stalls across campus, and door to door bucket collections.

The auction alone raised £30,000; one rainbow cake baked by fifth year Medic Junaid Masud was sold for £3,800 after a bidding war between members of the iSoc committee and the Muslim Medics Society. After driving the price so high, the two groups decided to group together and pay in total, making this cake potentially the most expensive cake ever bought (allegedly).

The finale of the week was a talk by Dr Yasir Qadhi, which was held in the Great Hall. Tickets were sold for £20 each, and the event made a profit of £15,000, which was all donated to charity.

Charity Week is not unique to Imperial; many Universities across the world run events too.

The international total for Charity Week was £732,571.47, and this will be donated to various projects that the volunteers will have a chance to vote for.

President of Islamic Society, Ibtesham Hossain, said that: “Charity Week never fails to get everyone together, the money raised is astonishing, the work put in is astonishing and the reward is astonishing.

“I genuinely believe we are only just scratching the surface in terms of what we can achieve through this campaign; the potential of each and every volunteer has no limits and, for this reason, Charity Week at Imperial will continue to prosper”.

Alex Savell, Deputy President (Finance & Services), said: “We are incredibly proud of all the achievements our many clubs and societies make, but Islamic Society have really done something incredible this year.

“Sitting in our office, we’ve seen how diligently and enthusiastically they’ve been working towards this and I’m personally extremely happy for them that it’s paid off in such a spectacular way.

“It’s brilliant that a society here are raising and giving such a large sum to such a good cause.

“I hope student organisations at Imperial College Union and all other institutions continue to do such good deeds”.