In a news statement released today, Sport Imperial announced once and for all that, despite outcry from medics, the Teddington sports ground will no longer be used.

This follows the news that College is planning to purchase a new sports ground in Heston, spanning 27 acres and provides indoor and outdoor facilities. The site is located two miles from Imperial’s other sporting site, the Harlington ground, and from next September, the use of Teddington Sports Ground will be suspended “until the new arrangement is properly assessed.”

The statement goes on to say that “Whilst no formal decision has been made there are no plans for student sport to take place at Teddington in the future.”

The rumours surrounding the suspension of the use of this land has caused controversy online, with the hashtag #SaveTeddington populated with various medical sports teams voicing their concern over the decision. A petition has also been circulated to keep sports at Teddington that at time of press has over 400 signatures.

One student, Alistair Brown, currently a fifth year medical student, has written on the petition page that “This apparently underhand move to dismantle the medical school exacerbates an us-and-them culture which is not healthy moving forward.”

Teddington, the grounds used primarily by ICSM sports teams, was bought in 1935 and given to St Mary’s medical school, which later merged with other surrounding schools to make up today’s ICSM.

College provided a guide to travelling to all sports grounds from each hospital. (View PDF)

Students have expressed concerns that Heston, the proposed new site, is too far from Imperial campuses and hospital placements. Not only that, but many are saddened by the loss of a site steeped in tradition and history.

ICSMSU President, Dariush Hassanzadeh-Baboli, said in an email sent to the medical school earlier this week: “The first time ICSMSU heard about the news was the same time as the rest of the students at Imperial College. Both the Faculty of Medicine and ICSMSU are unhappy and disappointed at the lack of warning, let alone consultation, with regards to moving ICSM Sports from their home ground of over 80 years.

Such big decisions, that disrupt the history and traditions of our medical school, should not be made without the students being consulted.”

The Imperial College statement concludes that “We know that many sports teams, particularly those of ICSM have a long history of using Teddington. The new configuration and the greater range of facilities offered at Heston, aims to enhance sports opportunities for all College clubs, including the Medics.

“Sport Imperial will be working with them to ensure that the new site meets their needs.”