Pool A

England

Best World Cup Performance: Final (1987, 1992)

ODI Ranking: 5

Key Player: After England installed him as captain Eoin Morgan will be desperate to prove that the decision to remove Alistair Cook as captain is justified.

But also look out for: Alex Hales and Jos Buttler are explosive batsmen when they are on song and could make or break England’s World Cup with their batting in the tournament.

Australia

Best World Cup Performance: Champions (1987, 1999. 2003, 2007)

ODI Ranking: 1

Key Player: Australia’s new ball pairing were destructive in the Carlton-Mid Tri Series against England and India, with Mitchell Starc twice removing two batsmen in the opening overs. And Mitchell Johnson isn’t bad either.

But also look out for: He’s started to call himself the man Australia can rely on, and if Glenn Maxwell can pair that with his aggressive batting, Australia can expect some very high totals.

Sri Lanka

Best World Cup Performance: Champions (1996)

ODI Ranking: 4

Key Player: Kumar Sangakkara has announced that he will retire from ODI cricket after this World Cup. He is Sri Lanka’s leading run scorer and seems to be getting better every day. He carries with him Sri Lanka’s hopes.

But also look out for: Lasith Malinga has been hailed as the greatest death bowler ever, and he knows that opposition batsmen will fear that toe-crushing in-swinging yorker.

Bangladesh

Best World Cup Performance: Super Eights (2007)

ODI Ranking: 9

Key Player: Bangladeshi captain Mashrafe Mortaza is a medium-fast bowler who has shown the potential to be a big threat.

But also look out for: Shakib Al-Hasan will be keen to demonstrate why overturning his ban was a good call.

New Zealand

Best World Cup Performance:Semi-Finals (1975, 1979, 1992, 1999, 2007, 2011)

ODI Ranking: 6

Key Player: Kiwi batsman Kane Williamson has transformed himself over the last few years into New Zealand’s best batsman.

But also look out for: Like Australia, New Zealand’s new ball pair, which is made up of Trent Boult and Tim Southee are very strong.

Afghanistan

Best World Cup Performance: Debut

ODI Ranking: 11

Key Player: At age 30, Nawroz Mangal is the elder statesman of the Afghanistan squad and will thus want to lead by example.

But also look out for: Captain Mohammad Nabi is usually Afghanistan’s most reliable player.

Scotland

Best World Cup Performance: Group Stage (1999, 2007)

ODI Ranking: 9

Pool B

South Africa

Best World Cup Performance: Semi-Final (1992, 1999, 2007)

ODI Ranking: 3

Key Player: AB de Villiers put his name in the record books (again) by blasting the fastest century in ODI cricket last month.

But also look out for: Hashim Amla is South Africa’s opener and the newly installed Test captain will be keen to show that he is just as valuable in the short form of the game as the long form.

India

Best World Cup Performance: Champions (1983, 2011)

ODI Ranking: 2

Key Player: Having had a stellar test series down under, Virat Kohli had a quiet tri-series against England and Australia. He knows he is one of the best batsmen in the world, and has a great opportunity to prove it.

But also look out for: The key to India’s chances will be how their fragile bowling line up fares on the flat decks in Australia. The injury to Ishant Sharma will have done them no favours as well.

Pakistan

Best World Cup Performance:Champions (1992)

ODI Ranking: 7

Key Player: Shahid Afridi has announced that he will retire from ODIs after the World Cup. Despite this, he knows that, with both bat and ball, he has the ability to win games for his country. And lose them.

But also look out for: Also retiring is captain Misbah-ul-Haq. He is the mainstay of the Pakistan middle order and will be desperate to end his limited overs career on a high in Melbourne.

West Indies

Best World Cup Performance: Champions (1975, 1979)

ODI Ranking: 8

Key Player: Explosive batsman Chris Gayle can win a game for the West Indies in the first ten overs. In a time of turmoil for the team, he will be expected to come up with some hefty blows.

But also look out for: Darren Sammy could be key to the West Indies’ hopes.

Zimbabwe

Best World Cup Performance: Super Sixes (1999, 2003)

ODI Ranking: 10

Key Player: In the victory against Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe’s top order batsman Hamilton Masakadza scored a brilliant century to guide his country home.

But also look out for: In the same game, Sean Williams was very impressive. He took three wickets at a cost of only 35 runs in ten overs.

Ireland

Best World Cup Performance: Super Eights

ODI Ranking: 12

Key Player: The hero of Ireland’s 2011 campaign, Kevin O’Brien will be eager to showcase his destructive ability again this time around.

But also look out for: Surrey’s wicketkeeper-batsman Gary Wilson took Ireland close to the Quarter-Finals in 2011, but succumbed to a shocking LBW decision.

United Arab Emirates

ODI Ranking: 9