## The Finborough Theatre

## If every small theatre were like the Finborough I’d probably never have any complaints. Punching well above its weight, the Finborough has long been regarded as one of the absolute best fringe venues in London for a number of years. A small theatre which uniquely hosts a number of well-known actors and writers, the Finborough’s creative vision is unique in that they pursue a policy of never performing a play which has been shown in London in the last 20 years. Whether that is new writing or unloved masterpieces, the Finborough is known throughout the theatre community as a sure-fire bet for a good show. Completely unsubsidised, few other theatres need your support as much as the Finborough.

Next:The Grand Tour

1st January - 21st February

As much as I hate musical theatre, this may genuinely be a show to look out for. The European premiere of a multi Tony award nominated musical, the re ispotential to completely immerse the audience with its deeply unsettling story set in Nazi occupied France.

## Theatre 503

As their website likes to remind us, Theatre 503 is “arguably the most important theatre in Britain today” . Known for their support of new and exciting playwrights, the theatre – an offshoot of the superb Gate Theatre in Notting Hill – offers more new writing opportunities than any other theatre in the country, cementing its reputation as one of London’s leading small theatres.

Winner of a number of awards and nominated for countless others, this charming small theatre makes the most of its humble space. With only around a hundred seats, the 503 offers an intimacy which many larger theatres can only dream of. (the seats are exceptionally uncomfortable, but that’s hardly the point. )Theatre 503 really is a special venue, since it offers so many shows which wouldn’t/couldn’t appear anywhere else. But, as is always the risk with new writing, sometimes what you see is a complete travesty…

Next: The Seperation

27th January - 21st February

Set in the run-up to Ireland’s historical divorce referendum of 1995, this play explores the mechanics and intimacies of a breakdown of a family in crisis; within a domestic setting, dark truths are brought to light and expunged in this dramatic tale.

## Wilton’s Music Hall

Although once a mainstay of London life, the music hall has dissapeared from our streets; luckily for Wilton’s, the historical value of such venues has been recognised, and the hall is now Grade II* listed, protected from demolition. Others have not been so lucky

Currently under restoration, although not closed, the hall plays host to a number of productions, including opera, music, cabaret, and dance. Its location is also unique: just off Cable Street, the hall is at the junction between the city and the East End, an area that has been dynamically changing for years, and is now rapidly gentrifying.

With many original features still remaining, Wilton’s Music Hall is a one-of-a-kind venue, and certainly worth checking out for anyone interested in culture, architecture, and even the history of the city we all live in.

Next: La Serva Padrona (The Maid as Mistress)

3rd - 8th February

A Rococo romp through Marylebone in the mid-18th Century, this production should serve as a perfect introduction to the world of theatre and opera for those who are intimidated by their reputations. Performers bring life and laughter into this magical venue.

## Southwark Playhouse

Southwark Playhouse is alive. With the look and feel of an Edinburgh Fringe venue, this theatre is one of the most vibrant and interesting spaces south of the river. Built into the railway arches just along from Elephant & Castle, Southwark Playhouse is on the larger side of the small theatres in this series while still using every inch of space available. The auditorium is filled to the brim with seats and the set is only a metre or so from the back of the room. While I imagine the layout feeling somewhat ominous when the house is not full, when sold out the theatre has a buzz that I can’t say I’ve felt in a London venue in many years.

With a pretty chilled bar (if a little on the expensive side), and what feels like a devoted, regular crowd, Southwark Playhouse offers the chance to see young, edgier productions, while still retaining a sterling reputation.

Next: How I Learned To Drive

11th Feburary - 14th March

Staged on the Playhouse’s smaller stage, the revival of this heart-breaking Pulitzer-winning play will give the audience a chance to see contemporary American writing at its very bes. A small cast who tell the story of a 17 year old Maryland girl, and her troubled relationship with an old man, through a series of driving lessons