Last Wednesday saw the very first broadcast of Imperial Questions Live, a new current affairs debating programme asking the big questions on campus.

The show, broadcast from the brand new Media Centre in the West Basement of Beit Quad, was presented by fourth year EEE student, Thomas Lim. The panel consisted of; Tom Wheeler, ICU President; Debra Humphris, Vice-Provost Education; Oli Benton, ACC Chair; Bridge Duncombe, Chemistry DUG; and Philippa Skett, Felix Editor.

Questions were asked by the live studio audience, who were able to submit questions online in advance. A broad range of questions were asked, ranging from the Weeks Hall closure to the legacy of sabbatical officers. Audience members consisted of interested people, including many residents of Weeks Hall.

Over the course of the hour long programme, viewers could watch live on the Imperial College Television (ICTV) website and YouTube, as well as joining in the debate on Twitter using the hashtag #iql. One person who watched the show live, RCSU President Serena Yuen, told Felix “I really enjoyed watching IQL last night – I thought it was really well executed and there was a wide variety of questions leading to good discussion on some relevant topics.”

The director of the show was Pete Brook, who told Felix “It’s really exciting to have put on our first live show since the redevelopment of the west basement. It is a culmination of months of hard work by ICTV members to make the studio firstly habitable and then functional. I’m exceptionally proud of everyones hard graft.”

One of the main themes from the debate was over the way the College communicates with students.

Notice was given to the Union’s consultation framework, while Debra Humpries made note of wishing to be more transparent with students.

One of the more contentious points aside from Weeks Hall was the Union’s entry fees. Tom Wheeler described how the revenue from entry fees (around £25,000) gets reinvested in Union services, although others questioned why the Union’s bars doesn’t appear attractive to students.

Phihippa Skett, who sat on the panel, told Felix, “Being on the panel was a lot of fun, and i really enjoyed the experience. I think it is vital that we can directly ask senior members of the Union and College questions about the issues that are affecting students, as I feel that often these people sit in their offices and forget what it is like talking to actual students once in a while.”

ICTV’s next broadcast will be the annual production of Meet the Candidates, where viewers can watch candidates for next year’s sabbatical officers debate with each other. This will be broadcast live in two weeks.

## A taster of what came up

Closure of Weeks

Weeks found out about the closure of the Hall from Felix’s Twitter feed after the Council meeting.

Tom Wheeler can not recall when he first became aware of the closure of Weeks although Community and Welfare minutes suggest he was aware of a review into Weeks Hall (amongst others) in December.

Not fighting the closure is being pragmatic, it recognises the wide ranging changes happen to College’s portfolio of campuses and accommodation.

Tom and Wheeler say there is no chance of a campaign to save Weeks.

Bridge says We need to trust students and build better communication.

What does College do to supoort teaching?

Changed the promotion criteria - can not be prompted purely on research, and can not excuse poor teaching.

20th Anniversy of President’s award, things like supervision – all need student nomination

Why does the Union charge an entry fee?

“Because it is budgeted for and if to remove that there will be less money going on everything else we spend it on.”

ACC Bar nights, almost filling the Union to capacity - make only £150. A venue in Fulham can offer cheaper drinks and make money.

“Why can’t the Union run a model that incites our own students into the bars to use and creates a market. Suggest you need to review your model fully.”

## How did IQL happen?

By Thomas Lim

The workload of Imperial students is unashamedly high – are we able to do all the things we want whilst continuing with our degrees? Probably not. Nonetheless, I feel there is a significant deficit in the way the College and Union interacts with students, and makes them aware of the issues they care about. Students don’t have the time or patience to attend Union Council or other meetings which may be of interest, perceiving them as boring, drawn out and allowing a few people to talk aimlessly for a long time (something I hope the Union’s Democracy Review will work on).

Despite the reputation of apathy at Imperial, I remain convinced that if people are given information in the right format, they are fundamentally still interested in the decisions and topics which affect their (and future cohorts’) lives as students. A Question Time format is one viewers are accustomed to, and importantly, allows for a two way exchange and debate. Key to this, the audience ask the questions and follow up with panellists should they be unhappy with the answers they hear.

Perhaps it was the act of getting our panellists out of their comfort zone and in to a studio with lights trained on them, or the audience of ‘non hack’ students which changed the dynamic. Judging by the messages received afterwards, we achieved some margin of our goal (or my friends are just really kind to me). Even being a Trustee and having worked with Tom Wheeler (Union President), I felt I understood the pressures he faces better following the show.

I for one, am immensely proud that we managed to produce the show, of the panelists for taking part, the audience & viewers for giving us so many questions and the ICTV tech team for producing a high quality broadcast, despite technical hitches. I hope this will become a termly event now: the only way is up for Imperial Questions Live!

Note: This article was updated on 23rd February to correct an inaccuracy regarding Tom Wheeler’s knowledge of the situation regarding Weeks Hall compared to both CWB minutes and the programme. Felix apologies to Tom Wheeler for this inaccuracy.