Jo Johnson, newly elected MP for Orpington in the London Borough of Bromley, has succeeded Greg Clark (a former economist) as Minister of State for Universities and Science.

Questions have been raised about his credibility for the role considering he has no formal science education, whilst others are concerned over his reduced influence within the cabinet.

However, his pro-EU stance and favour for international students may prove beneficial, and for Imperial students in particular.

Currently the role of Science Minister is not a cabinet minster position, although those previously in the roles have attended cabinet meetings in the past. However, Cameron has not chosen Johnson to sit in such meetings this time around.

This decision is raising concerns over the lack of voice for science during decision-making by the government’s most senior decision-making body.

Naomi Weir, acting director of the London-based Campaign for Science and Engineering, has said: “It will be really important to make sure that science has a voice at central government level, and previously that has been maintained by the science minister attending cabinet.”

His lack of scientific credibility has also come under fire, with his father, no less, stating during a radio interview: “Good Heavens. I don’t think he knows anything about science!”

Despite this, Johnson has been praised for his previous statements of support of EU membership and international student provision.

Johnson has stated that he plans to keep International students out of the steep curbs on immigration levels that Cameron has proposed.

Johnson is the younger brother of the London mayor, Boris Johnson, with a similar educational background.

After two years as an investment banker at Deutsche bank, he then joined the Financial Times. As of the 2010 election he has been the MP for Orpington.