In interviews, Savages have always described themselves as a live band: “you don’t understand who we are unless you see us play live.” They aim to create a reaction with their live act, something more than static head bobbing. Watching the video for ‘The Answer,’ the first song on their new album Adore Life, you might expect a Savages gig to be a messy, explosive affair. I expect it might be if it wasn’t at 8:45 in the morning. The idea of a gig before work, without alcohol, is a weird one. But replacing intoxication with a coffee high works surprisingly well.

Lead singer Jehnny Beth charms even at such an early time in the morning. In between songs she confidently sips her cup of tea to the amusement of the crowd. Her performance throughout the set is sublime; those at the front were graced by her presence. At times she reaches towards members of the crowd, holds their shoulder and sings to them, as if there’s no one else in the room. There is one moment on ‘Adore’ where the band are silent; the crowd match this absence of sound in awe, enchanted by Beth’s presence. The rest of the band are more subdued, probably in need of a few more hours in bed.

Their latest album is brilliant by itself, I didn’t expect it to gain much from a live setting, but it does – and I implore anyone to see Savages on their upcoming world tour. At one point, Beth jokes that watching this gig was the best excuse for being late to work and that we were all employees of the month. Even if I had been late for something, I would have started the day more awake than any cup of coffee could ever induce.