Over one hundred leaders of UK universities, including the President of Imperial, Alice Gast, have signed an open letter published in the Sunday Times, asking the British public to reject a ‘Brexit’ and vote to stay in the European Union.

The letter says universities are better able to “collaborate with partners” and that “our students are taught by the best minds” because the UK is in the EU.

As well as stating the benefits to universities, the letter seeks to persuade voters that they should care about higher education as all of these EU-provided benefits have a “direct impact on our economy, driving growth, generating jobs and improving people’s lives”.

It is unclear whether President Gast signed the letter in a personal capacity or on behalf of Imperial College, although the letter does state that “as university leaders we are committed to highlighting the value of EU membership to our universities”. Imperial did return FELIX’s request for clarification.

Whilst the short letter starts positively, listing the benefits EU membership provides, it goes on to say that leaving would mean “cutting ourselves off from established networks” and would ultimately “undermine” Britain’s position as a “leader in science”.

The referendum date was announced by David Cameron on Saturday. It will take place on the 23rd of June, which is the penultimate day of Imperial’s summer term. The mayor of London, Boris Johnson, came out to reporters on Sunday as a supporter of ‘Brexit’, or Britain leaving the EU, in a much-anticipated announcement.

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens, as well as citizens from Cyprus, Malta and Ireland residing in the UK will be allowed to vote in the referendum. EU citizens will not be eligible to vote.

Despite attempts by Labour and Lib Dem Lords last year to lower the age to 16, voters must also be 18 or over. It is suspected that 7.5 million people are missing from the electoral register. Students in halls must now sign themselves up, so go to gov.uk/register-to-vote to make sure you can vote on the 23rd.

It is likely that Imperial College Union will fund campaigns lead by students for both sides, with grants of up to £400 available.

There is also the possibility that a motion for either camp could be presented at Union Council, which could then potentially be voted in as an official union stance.

The Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge, the President of the LSE, the Vice-Chancellor of Oxford and the Provost of UCL were also among the 103 university leaders who signed the letter.