International Women’s Day on Tuesday was marked by college’s ‘Women@Imperial’ week.

Over the week, Imperial’s official Twitter and Facebook pages churned out images and interviews from women working around Imperial.

An exhibition celebrating women has been up in the Business School entrance all week. It includes images of female pioneers in Imperial’s history from the archives, including the first female graduates and first professors to hold leading academic positions in the constituent departments of the College. Other featured women include the Union President, Lucinda Sandon-Allum, staff from HR, the ICSM, IT and support services.

At an exclusive invite-only Women@Imperial reception to start off the week, the college’s movers and shakers were invited to hobnob around the exhibition on International Women’s Day on Tuesday. There will be an outreach event today to encourage young women to enter STEM.

Last week, the education secretary, Nicky Morgan, presented a new report into female leadership. ‘WomenCount: Leaders in Higher Education 2016’, profiles women who have been appointed to high positions in universities, including our very own President, Alice Gast, and Vice Provost (Education) Debra Humphris, who recently left Imperial for Brighton.

Education secretary Nicky Morgan, presented a new report into female leadership

Nicky Morgan, who a month ago refused to make sex and relationship education compulsory in schools, said that “female leaders in our universities and colleges act as powerful role models”. She also pointed out that Imperial had a “great example” of a female leader in the form of Alice Gast, who is the first female President in Imperial’s history.

Alice Gast said she had been “especially inspired by Imperial’s women”. Aw, thanks Alice.