As a Middle Eastern girl from Ealing whose life resembles a sitcom, there’s no other comedian I can relate to as much as Iranian-born Shappi Khorsandi, whose performances deliver a refreshing take on the world around us. Her new show, “Oh My Country!” is focused on “reclaiming patriotism” in celebration of her 40th year in the UK.

As a Middle Eastern girl from Ealing whose life resembles a sitcom, there’s no other comedian I can relate to as much as Shappi Khorsandi

I first saw Shappi perform at Soho Theatre way back in 2014. I was working nearby on Tottenham Court Road at the time, and that day on my lunch break I couldn’t find my wallet. It was cold, and I was wearing a big coat. I decided to stop, take off my coat and have a proper look in all the pockets, so I crouched down on the pavement and started rummaging. I heard something and looked up but it was just a man walking past so I turned to keep searching. Finally, I found my wallet and got up, but somehow there was some change on top of my jacket. Once I worked out what had happened, it was too late to run after the guy and tell him thank you, but I wasn’t begging. I decided to put the fifty pence towards my ticket at the box office – money well spent.

Shappi Khorsandi is a comedian and author, who has appeared on numerous shows, including Live at the Apollo, The News Quiz, and QI. She is the author of two books, and the President of the British Humanist Association.

Oh My Country! is on at Soho Theatre until 4th February; tickets from £10 student, £12 regular.