The past week on campus has been a busy one, what with the 2017 leadership elections, ‘show season’ at the union concert hall, and of course Varsity going on. But the past week has also seen activists across the nation trying to create change for people who are impacted by eating disorders. The final week of February is Eating Disorders Awareness Week (EDAW) both in the UK and the USA, and thus I have worked hard to lead a supportive campaign from ICU. Sadly, my efforts have been somewhat overshadowed by what can be seen as more pressing issues such as Elections and Varsity. Whilst this is frustrating, I can understand why EDAW isn’t at the top of everyone’s agenda: eating disorders are a seemingly niche and poorly understood topic and might not take priority when we are all under pressure to meet deadlines and balance a rudimentary social life. This in itself is not necessarily a huge problem but it is indicative of the wider problem of how eating disorders are perceived, discussed and treated in society. We don’t have to talk about eating disorders for only one week of the year. I, and others who are trying to foster change, am willing to talk about eating disorders all year long. The problem is, other people aren’t necessarily as keen because eating disorders aren’t seen as hugely important.

Eating disorders are a huge, complex and somewhat terrifying subject and as such people tend to shy away from the conversation. Talking about eating disorders is one of those things that you keep putting to the side because you want to do it right but you’re not quite sure how to go about it. Then of course there are the people who simply think eating disorders aren’t a real problem and that those suffering are just narcissistic teenage girls who want to look like Kate or Cara. The reality is that by not engaging in conversation about eating disorders – and I don’t mean spreading gossip about celebrity weight – we are doing more harm than by saying the wrong thing. By talking about eating disorders with those whose lives have been touched by them we learn about the dos and don’ts for conversations in the future. But more importantly we continue to chip away at the stigma and misconceptions, starting with openly discussing eating disorders. Quite frankly, eating disorders are everybody’s problem because, as a previous B-eat slogan emphasises, “everybody knows somebody”. Eating disorders affect at least 10% of our population without taking into account those who are undiagnosed and the loved ones of sufferers. People should take an interest in eating disorders, not just because of people like me shouting about it, but because you never know when your life might be derailed by one.

Eating disorders count some of the deadliest mental illnesses amongst their ranks. Despite 20% of anorexics dying as a result of their condition, the media still celebrate thinness, self-deprivation and obsessive relationships with food. The same culture, and a wave of skinny-shaming culture born out of it, trivialises eating disorders as something sufferers choose and can simply give up at will. Megan Trainor, for example, who’s been heralded as a body positive role model, told reporters that she “tried being anorexic for an hour” and then got her mum to make her a sandwich, showing her gross misunderstanding of what anorexia is. Yet this message has been perpetuated and celebrated by those trying to fight back against diet culture. Anorexia is not a choice; one does not simply try being anorexic and eat a sandwich when it’s too difficult. Anorexia is a deadly and life wrecking mental illness that has claimed too many wonderful people from this earth.

Another myth perpetuated by the media is that people with eating disorders are skinny. Whilst that is the case for some, the majority of people with an eating disorder are not underweight. Anorexia is one of the least common eating disorders yet is what we generally think of when discussing eating disorders. Thousands of people suffer in isolation through fear of being ridiculed or disbelieved if they talk about their eating disorders, simply because they are not underweight. And for those who are underweight, there is a fear of not being underweight enough, perpetuated by comments like “but you don’t look anorexic” and the rationing of treatments based on body mass index. The only way to change this rhetoric is to challenge it through conversation and education, hence the importance of eating disorders awareness week.

This year’s EDAW theme focuses on early intervention, which is shown to improve prognosis for those with eating disorders, and aims to incite change in the treatment of eating disorders by removing BMI barriers and allowing sufferers to access treatments regardless of weight. Removing low-BMI requirements from treatment is extremely important in helping people recover faster and fuller, but it has the power to change so much more than that by removing the stigma around having an eating disorder without being underweight.

Please help fight stigma by learning a little more or starting a conversation about eating disorders over the coming weeks. Oh! and if you haven’t already done so, please check out the EDAW online prize draw on the union shop, every penny will go to B-eat and will help save a life.