After last year’s result at Harlington (1-1, first goal in 6 years), the team was looking to build on that performance and bring home the first RSM victory since 2005. RSMAFC went down to Cornwall undefeated in 7 games with their strongest squad in recent memory.

In sunny but cold conditions on the infamously boggy Dracaena Centre pitch, CSM kicked the game off a little cautiously. With the pitch immediately proving the biggest problem for both teams it was clear the game could only be played in one way: the surface being too uneven to play any building football, RSMAFC decided to pack the middle with a diamond playing two up front. This worked to their advantage as they started strongly setting up camp in the opposition half. The early pressure told as RSM centre back Sam Mitchell sent a header cashing against the crossbar. CSM’s tentative start continued as they gave away sloppy fouls and RSM kept on pilling on the pressure from set pieces. Corner after corner, free kick after free kick, RSM wasted clear opportunities to take the lead – missed chances they would come to rue. On the 35 min mark CSM went long from a free kick within their own half. A lapse in concentration from RSM centre back George Decaudaveine left the CSM striker straight through on goal to calmly poke past the keeper. 1-0 CSM completely against the run of play, but RSM heads didn’t drop determined to fight back. The goal proving to be just a blip, RSM continued to play with high intensity, winning most duels and penning CSM back into their half. It was just before the half-time whistle that RSM reaped the rewards for their determined play. A free kick from George Decaudaveine was whipped into the second post, missing everyone in the box to nestle just inside the side netting. RSM were right back in it and went into halftime hungry to get the win.

The match being very much a game of two half halves, CSM came out for the second half on the better side of pitch and the better team. The pitch really told in the second half as RSM started to come out second best on the duels and this translated on pitch to CSM dominating the second half. A miscommunication at the back and fluky header later they were 3-1 up and kept the trophy. RSMAFC remain on the hunt to end the 13 year drought.