Sport Imperial and Imperial College Union have partnered to reshape sports and physical activity at Imperial College London.

The partnership aims to bring affordability, accessibility, and new opportunities for both student and staff bodies. It has put forward six objectives, including creating added value for the College, increase activity levels across all College bodies, and improve efficiency.

A price review of all sport facilities, a restructuration of the student sport governing body, and the introduction of a new activity tracking app have been set to take place in the first six months. The strategy is set to extend over a period of four years.

A single sport committee is set to be put in place. Notably, the committee will seek to homogenize representation of sports clubs: in an effort to lower costs, as well as reviewing the prices, the partnership will tender the Ethos gym and will seek out a single sportswear supplier for all sports clubs. Transport will be restructured, with coaches made available for all performance clubs in the second year. A code of conduct will be put in place for all sports clubs and their members, while a charter outlining the expectations for sports and physical activities will be created.

The partnership wishes to play a significant part in the college wide implementation of the ‘five ways of wellbeing’ programme. There is also a wish to increase the college’s standing in the British University and College Sport (BUCS) ranking: the goal is to reach at least 15th place by the end of the strategy. Imperial’s current ranking is 17th, behind Stirling and Manchester at 16th and 15th place respectively.

Will Hollyer, the Head of Sports at Imperial said: “This strategy, and the fundamental changes it brings to sport and physical activity at the College, has the potential to make a sustainable and positive impact on the lifestyles, experience and wellbeing of our people for the better.” The new strategy comes after talks of a shake-up of sports at Imperial last year by the Union, amidst criticism of Sport Imperial for its poor communication and services. The then-Deputy President (Clubs and Societies) James Cox said: “This aims to solve the root cause of a large proportion of our issues surrounding sport at Imperial, namely communication and transparency over decisions and the complexity of processes”.