So you’ve got through your first week of uni madness - the wild balance of parties, events, and socials with possible introductory lectures or just straight up normal classes. Food this week has probably just been frozen pizza, toast, and of course all the sweets from Freshers’ Fair because who has time to cook? We’d like to say it gets easier, but for the next week or two you’ll still probably still be buying library cafe sandwiches or meal deals from Tesco… but fear not - there is an alternative. The one food that is super easy to prepare, fills you up well (essential for priming your stomach for all the juice you’ll be having of course) and tastes amazing - pasta! But rather than just topping it with nothing or 99p tomato concentrate, here’s a few better, more interesting ways to eat your pasta:

THE CLASSICS

1. Bolognese

You’ve probably all heard of this classic, and we’re not surprised. With how easy it is to whip up, and how delicious the results are, no wonder it’s a family favourite!

Pasta of Choice: We recommend spaghetti or if you’re feeling more adventurous, some macaroni.

What you’ll need: Onions, carrots, garlic clove, red wine (optional), chopped tomatoes, minced beef & herbs to season.

Our favourite recipe: Jamie Oliver’s Spaghetti Bolognese

2. Carbonara

Another family favourite. Though a little richer with all the cream and cheese involved (yummm, we know!!), this dish is just as quick and easy, and jam-packed with even more flavour.

Pasta of Choice: Spaghetti or tagliatelle.

What you’ll need: Eggs, pancetta ham/bacon, double cream, parmesan cheese, butter & 2 garlic cloves. Salt, pepper and italian herbs to season.

Our favourite recipe: BBC Good Food online, titled “Learn To Make Spaghetti Carbonara”

3. Mac & Cheese

Now this is THE hangover food. Cheese, pasta and an extra topping of deliciously golden breadcrumbs, Mac & Cheese is the ideal stomach lining before (and after) a night out.

Pasta of Choice: Has to be macaroni.

What you’ll need: cheese, breadcrumbs, butter, milk, flour & seasonings.

Our favourite recipe: Recipe Tin Eats’ “Baked Mac and Cheese”

UP FOR A CHALLENGE?

1. Butter Noodles

These are absolutely addictive. No, we mean like really A D D I C T I V E. You’ll be out of your seat reaching for more before your plate is even over! But fear not - we’ve chosen a recipe that makes a hefty number of servings so you’ll be absolutely fine for that.

Pasta of Choice: (Wide) egg noodles.

What you’ll need: Chicken broth, bouillon cube, butter, parmesan, seasonings and parsley.

Our favourite recipe: Spicy Southern Kitchen’s Buttered Noodles

2. Quattro Formaggi

Yet another dish loaded with cheese. We think cheese is the solution to all our problems in life, to be honest. Relationship problems? Have some cheese. Feeling hungover? Have some cheese. Too much work to do? Have some cheese. Your pasta is too plain? Yep, you’ve guessed it - have some cheese!

Pasta of Choice: Penne.

What you’ll need: Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Gruyère, Taleggio (or any 4 cheeses!), whole milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and any other seasonings.

Our favourite recipe: The Spruce Eats’ Italian Four-Cheese Pasta

3. Fettuccine Alfredo

This yummy, buttery bowl of goodness is undoubtedly going to melt your heart (and your tummies!). The flavour created by the combination of garlic, cream and butter is to-die-for and the thick consistency of the recipe makes it a heartwarming, filling favourite.

Pasta of Choice:
Fettuccine.

What you’ll need: Butter, heavy cream, cheese, garlic salt, pepper.

Our favourite recipe: All Recipes’ To Die For Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe

SPICE UP YOUR LIFE (AND YOUR PASTA)

BONUS. Puttanesca

Puttanesca translates to “lady of the night” in Italian, and though we’re not entirely sure why this dish has adopted that name, we’re assuming it’s because of its hot, fiery nature.

Pasta of Choice: Spaghetti for the win.

What you’ll need: Chilli, basil, cheese, garlic, tomatoes, olives, anchovies, pepper, olive oil & herbs.

Our favourite recipe: Delia Online’s Pasta Puttanesca (Tart’s Spaghetti)