The ancient Chinese had a curse: ‘may he live in interesting times’ – well these are interesting times when the president of the United States claims there are good people on the side of neo-Nazis and with the electoral success of far-right neo-Nazi political groups all over Europe and America. But as Aesop’s tale of the boy who cried wolf reminds us, it is ultimately dangerous and counterproductive in cheapening the accusation of anti-Semitism. The most successful British Jewish politician in recent times has been Ed Miliband, the former leader of the Labour Party. Before him, it was his brother David Miliband the former foreign secretary in a Labour Government. Of course, there are fringes within the Labour movement who are anti-Semites – with individuals who fixate all their attention on the human rights violations by Israeli state (and blame Israeli citizens for the actions of their government) whilst ignoring the far more numerous crimes of other countries in that neighbourhood. But the claims made by some Blairite MPs of widespread anti-Semitism within the rank and file of the labour party is nothing more than an attempted propaganda campaign to protect themselves from deselection and to overthrow Jeremy Corbyn.

Let us be clear, the Labour party has accepted the full International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of anti-Semitism and seven out of the eleven illustrations. The entire claim of Jeremy Corbyn’s supposed anti-Semitism rests on the partial rejection of these four named examples, thus it’s paramount for the other side of the argument to be heard without being labelled an anti-Semite.

Now this is not to say that the Labour leadership has not muddled a political soft-ball and exasperated the issue unnecessarily. Of the four initially rejected examples, three of which should have easily been accepted:

1. Accusing Jewish citizens of being more loyal to Israel, or to the alleged priorities of Jews worldwide, than to the interests of their own nations.

2. Applying double standards to Israel by requiring of it a behaviour not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation

3. Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

These political mistakes should not be confused with anti-Semitism, as they are centred on the nation state of Israel, and not on the Jewish religion. Just as having a disproportional amount of criticism of Saudi Arabia does not make one an Islamophobia nor does claiming British Hindus have a greater loyalty to India make one anti-Hindu. However, it is important for the Labour leadership to look beyond its own intentions and understand the very legitimate fears of British Jews. Comparing Israel with the Nazis is deeply moronic, and accusing British Jews of being more loyal to Israel is deeply misguided. The national executive committee (NEC) was right in later accepting these examples on September 4th. However, it is unfortunate that in a rush to resolve this PR disaster, the Labour party abandoned its initially rightful opposition to the notion that claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavour is an example of anti-Semitism and contradicts the right of Jewish people to their self determination.

The Labour party was initially right in recognising that by adopting this noted example it would stifle criticism of the state of Israel. Were Mahatma Gandhi or Nelson Mandela anti-Semites for opposing the forcible seizure and expulsion of Palestinians form their native lands because of a colonial fiat? Arthur Balfour, speaking for one country promised the land of another country to another people. In the original 1948 UN partition plan, the Jewish state received 56% of the land mass of Mandatory Palestine whilst Jews made up less than 32% of the population. Opposition to the UN partition plan and the succeeding land grabs by Israel because of war outcomes, as espoused by the likes of Noam Chomsky is not rooted in anti-Semitism but against racial colonialism. And this in not merely a historical debate, but very relevant in today’s politics in Israel – with the passage of the controversial ‘Jewish-nation state law’ in July which in effect rendered Arab Israeli citizens to second-class citizenship. By not recognising the deep-rooted racial prejudice in Israel’s foundation – it minimises the struggles and pains of the Palestinian people. Thus, it is a pity that the Labour Party has succumbed to the onslaught of negative and unfair press coverage by abandoning its moral objection in stifling debate on Israel’s racist policies.

Jeremy Corbyn has fought against racism all his life, from fighting against apartheid in the 1970s and 80s to his historic commitment to the Palestinian people which reflect the actions of a warrior against racism. Jeremy Corbyn (whose ideological heroes Karl Marx, Leon Trotsky and Rosa Luxemburg were great historical Jews) has always proudly stood shoulder to shoulder with his Jewish socialist comrades like Jon Lansman, the founder of Momentum.

Dame Margaret Hodge’s hyperbolic claim that the Labour Party’s disciplinary process against her is reminiscent with 1930s Nazi Germany belittles the true horrors of the holocaust. And the opportunistic Frank Fields bogus claim that he left the Labour party because of anti-Semitism doesn’t hold its weight when one looks at his historically xenophobic opposition to immigration – this is not a champion against racism but a politician who was facing deselection and trying save face.

For thousands of years, Jews have faced untold misery and suffering, and it is absolutely right (and far overdue) that the Labour party disposes any anti-Semitic elements within the party to the dust-bins of history. However, it’s vital that great Jewish faith not be reduced to a monolith, consequently criticism of the state of Israel not be confused with anti-Semitism. Let us not confuse a small disgusting minority with the overwhelmingly progressive majority.