Imperial has announced an exciting new collaboration with Times Newspapers Ltd to “advance their shared interests in the future of science and culture” and including a year-long programme of joint events and activity led by the student community at Imperial.

The media partnership, which will see all Imperial staff and full time students receive a year-long free subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times, has been described as “more than just a commercial partnership” and will involve an ambassador scheme for selected students. The five selected ambassadors will play a key role in the partnership, helping to launch events, coming up with new initiatives and ideas, and generally promoting the relationship between the College and one of the UK’s best known newspapers.

The aim of this relationship is to stimulate debate, provoke curiosity and encourage exploration. In an era when both experts and journalists are under unprecedented scrutiny, this partnership provides an opportunity to look at the benefits of the media and academia to society. The university will be hosting debates and panel discussions featuring leading Times journalists, special guests and Imperial students, talking about a wide range of issues concerning science, culture and communication. The first of these will be the launch event, “What the Hell is going on?”, taking place from 17:30 to 19:00 on Tuesday 27th November in Sir Alexander Fleming (SAF) Room G16. The event will feature a Q & A with leading Times satirical columnist, Matt Chorley, and his guest, a well-known political figure. The event promises lively discussion, live voting and giveaways, followed by refreshments.

Emma Tucker, Deputy Editor of The Times, had this to say about the partnership:

The Times and The Sunday Times are delighted to partner with Imperial College London to promote our shared belief that it has never been more important for young people to develop a breadth of knowledge and to stay up to date with the news.”

There is an emphasis on ensuring this partnership is student-driven. Rob Tomkies, President of the Imperial College Union, said:

“We’re very excited about this partnership and the potential it has to benefit the student community at Imperial. The free subscription is a great offer, but we also see this relationship as a way of exploring the broader issues around journalism, communication and culture - empowering people to lead and communicate in all fields not just their scientific specialism.”

Not only will the selected Student Ambassadors have the opportunity to come up with event ideas, topics for debate and “help design, run and write” about the events organised by The Times on campus, but they will also get “a bunch of perks such as tutoring, workshops and resource from The Times. Imperial students will also have access to The Times’ offices, and will learn about journalism and wider communications issues by talking directly with the newspaper’s staff and some of its leading commentators.

Talks are also under way about how The Times will be involved in the 2019 festival at the end of June 2019.

Please visit the following website for further details of the Ambassador Scheme and how to apply: http://newscareers.broadbeantech.com/jobs/view/3625