On Saturday 9th February, the much anticipated 70th annual edition of the Hyde Park Relays, hosted by Imperial College Cross Country and Athletics, smashed onto the scene.

With over 80 teams and nearly 500 participants, it was once again a roaring success for the club.

This event holds a special place in Imperial runners’ hearts, with the first edition dating back to the late 1940s and the organising committee determined to make this year’s edition as memorable as possible to vanquish last year’s demons as the 2018 race had to be cancelled due to the notorious Beast from the East.

As January drew to its end and the final details had been arranged, the weather forecast was looking good and hopes were high for this historic event.

After an intense week of food preparation, h-bar decoration, race-pack making and coordination with all attendees, the big day arrived at a frightening pace. With an early start from the organisers to set up registration and bring the food, the crowds started arriving at 10 in the morning to Metric so they could sign their teams in.

Soon enough, all teams had registered and made their way to the Bandstand in Hyde Park where the race would soon begin.

As the clocks struck 1pm, the recently retrieved Hyde Park Relays Horn was sounded, as per tradition, to mark the start of the race, as the first runner from each of the 85 teams stormed off in a stampede with cheers of teammates spreading across the park. The course was newly certified as officially 5km, meaning many runners were eager to set personal best times.

As the first runners made it to the end of their leg, Daniel Mulryan from Imperial Men’s A team was leading the race with what would earn him the fastest leg of the day in 15:16, followed closely by the Cambridge team, as he gave the baton to Mihaly Ormay. In the third leg of the Men’s A team Niki Faulkner ran a pacey 15:40 leg, winning him the prize baton for 3rd fastest leg of the day.

The lead was lost in the final lap of the day but Imperial’s A team still ended in an outstanding second place against very worthy Cambridge opposition, with the whole team putting in smashing performances as Mihaly finished in 17:02, Charlie McFadzean in 17:16, Daniel Garcia in 17:03 and Club Captain Fergus Johnson in a rapid 16:54, coming ahead of all the other London Universities.

Imperial Men’s B team come home in a terrific 7th place, led by Men’s Captain Jack McKeon, which served as a good motivation boost before BUCS Indoors Athletics and the last London Cross Country League of the season.

On the ladies’ side, new PBs were ran by Stephanie Hewitt with an awesome 19:24 who is also going to compete in BUCS indoors this weekend, star fresher Alix Vermeulen who ran an absolutely incredible 18:52, improving her 5k PB by 40 seconds, Social Secretary Jessica Eichel with 21:34 and Pati Santos with a speedy 24:32.

The Imperial Women’s A team of Stephanie Hewitt, Inga Van den Bossche, Chloe Baker and Alix Vermeulen won themselves the bronze baton as the 3rd fastest Women’s Team behind Cambridge and UCL who ran crazy fast legs, whilst Imperial Mixed A team finished as the fastest Mixed Team with James Millet, Duncan Ingram, Tom Binnie, last year’s Club Captain Alex Mundell, Social Secretary Liv Papaioannou and Euan Bell. Massive congratulations go to everyone!

Once all the runners had crossed the finish line, the masses headed back to Metric for the prize ceremony and sandwiches.

After the much needed showers and a quick dinner, the Imperial crew headed to h-bar for the final decoration installments and some early pints, with the after-party ready to start at 8pm featuring beer pong, drinking from the HPR Horn and tankard by the organisers, and ICXCAC’s favourite DJs - Niall Woodward and Dema Ushchapovskyy - who were absolutely fantastic and made the night a girthy one.

Overall, the day was a huge success from all points of view; the organisers would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone from ICXCAC and beyond who helped throughout the organisation process and during the day. The Club would also like to congratulate the Hyde Park Relays Organisers Henry Hart and Aymeric Regnier for all their hard work in planning the Relays (and also writing this article!) – the race could not have happened without them.