Adam Kay is a former junior doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynaecology, and he just happens to be an Imperial College School of Medicine (ICSM) graduate. During his gruelling training, he kept a diary, scribbling away the often-funny details of his time working for the NHS. Upon quitting his day job as a doctor, these diary entries were compiled into a now-bestselling book, which acts as the basis for Kay’s comedy show, with medically oriented musical numbers sprinkled here and there.

As a current fourth year medical student studying at ICSM, I was ecstatic to be given the opportunity to see this show, after hearing lots of praise from friends, both regarding the show and the book. In addition to my excitement, I can’t say I wasn’t slightly nervous, as I was positive that what Kay would deliver to the audience regarding his time as a doctor would be a little bit too close to comfort for me.

Kay starts the show by asking if there are any doctors or medical students in the audience, of which there were plenty. This later came in handy, as near the end of the performance, as Kay delivered an extremely poignant, heartfelt explanation of why he decided to quit medicine, there was a nervous uproar coming from the Dress Circle. Turns out, an audience member had fainted, which Kay promptly reacted to by stopping the show, asking for the house lights to be turned on, and made sure that the doctors in the audience dealt with the situation before closing the show, perhaps on a slightly more sombre and less sing-songy manner than most of his performances.

Overall, Kay’s diary entries (at least those he chooses to recite during the show, as I have been assured that there is more entries that are found in the book that did not make it to the show) hit the mark, be it the ridiculous encounters with patients, the effects of his job on his personal relationships, and especially the final diary entry, which explores the events that led to his time as a doctor ending. The songs, which are medical spoofs of many popular songs, are also hilarious, although at times more risqué than what one might expect from a former doctor. I did not mind, though.

At 75 minutes long, the show is digestible, enjoyable and most importantly relatable for those coming from a medical background. Although I wholeheartedly believe that even non-medical individuals could find a lot to enjoy about Kay’s performance, I do wonder whether a significant proportion of the jokes on the more niche side of things. As a large chunk of the show come directly from the book, I suspect that going in to the show without having read the book (like I did) might provide the viewer with a more enjoyable night.

In any case, This Is Going to Hurt delivered its message effectively, while hitting all the marks one would expect a comedy show to hit. If interested in hearing about the challenges of life as a junior doctor with a very comedic twist, or if you’re a medical student or a medical professional who is just interested in hearing what Kay has to say, it would be a shame to miss this show during its run at The Garrick Theatre.

-4 stars