So recently I have been trying to complete every game in the Fallout series in order. Yes, that’s right EVERY game… even the trashy PS2 game ‘Brotherhood of Steel’ that nobody remembers for good reason. The journey has been a right laugh and I only have 3 games left. Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 are going to be very enjoyable I am sure; I am deep into the lore now and nothing is going to stop me putting 100 hours into another Post-Nuclear RPG, not even coursework. However, there is one game which continues to be the bane of my existence.

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. Even typing this now gives me shivers as I think of the un-inspired, ‘Help us find a Vault’ story and monotonous turn-based combat system. The worst part about it is that I enjoy the game when it gets going, but it rarely does that. I am walking around the isometric map with my squad of 6 in real-time and suddenly combat starts – initialising a turn-based system until combat is over – but there are no enemies to be seen. When I finally find the thing shooting at me, I have already wasted so much time that I wonder why they were even there in the first place. There are 23 levels in this game supposedly, I am on level 6 and I’m already tired of playing. If you are looking to play the Fallout series at any point, I would recommend just sticking to the main series games (and New Vegas). Unless you’re a die-hard fan of Final Fantasy Tactics (the heavy inspiration for Fallout Tactics) then it would be advisable to steer clear.

Is it weak to give up so quickly? Should I power on and complete it whilst neglecting the far superior, Game of the Year nominated Fallout 4? I have not decided yet but one thing is for sure, it is on hold for now.

I love gaming, and hopefully next week I will have some good news to spread on my progress. With Trine 4 coming out I see myself sinking far too many hours in that to care about Fallout, but I guess we just have to wait and see. I hope everyone has a great week and remembers to put some time aside from work to relax with a hobby, whether that be gaming or something else entirely.