5 stars

Dada Masilo is famous for her works which rework the plots of well-known classical ballet pieces. Her previous works include her interpretation of Swan Lake which included twists such as a homosexual Siegfried, and social commentary on sexism and homophobia. Her vision for Giselle is equally refreshing, with a focus on storytelling, and presenting the audience with unforgiving protagonist.

Giselle (played by choreographer, Dada Masilo herself) is the young peasant girl who falls in love with the nobleman Albrecht (played by Lwando Dutyulwa). After discovering that he was already promised to another woman, Giselle dies of heartbreak. The second act sees Giselle summoned by a group of vengeful spirits called the Wilis. They are supernatural women who have the power to force men to dance until death from exhaustion, and Giselle joins them to enact her revenge.

The choreography of Masilo’s Giselle is hugely innovative and exciting. The fusion of classical ballet with contemporary dance was done to perfection, and the addition of African dance makes the performance a unique visual masterpiece. The dance is far more expressive and emotional than an average ballet, and the passion of the dance makes the story feel much more raw and real than the traditional more conserved story of Giselle.

A notable difference from the original Giselle, is the influence of African culture, as Masilo reimagines the setting of Giselle in South Africa. This is very prominent in the music that is layered with African voices and percussion. There is also the addition of the scene of Giselle going through an African ritual with her mother, and the changing of the leader of the Wilis, Myrtha, to an African healer.

The stage production also complemented the dance immensely, to create an immersive piece of art. The stage and costumes are minimalistic but impactful and effective. The beautiful red outfits of the Wilis are particularly striking. They symbolize viciousness which contrast with the white dresses of purity and innocence in the original.

The performance also defies certain conventions of ballet, and there is an element of surprise that keeps the audience on the edge of their seats. There was dialogue, chanting, and acting, which all contribute to the organic storytelling.The inclusion of nudity accentuates the vulnerability of Giselle.There was also the genderbending of two of the Wilis played by androgynous male dancers, calling into question the heteronormative culture and gender norms of ballet. Subversion of traditional ballet is daring, and by breaking well defined boundaries, Masilo sheds light on the infinite possibilities of ballet.

Overall, Masilo’s Giselle is an incredible masterpiece, that is innovative and unique. It is an unapologetic piece of art that is both ground-breaking and visually stunning. When compared to the original, Masilo’s Giselle is filled with more drama and raw emotion, making it incredibly exciting. I truly believe Masilo’s Giselle has the best storytelling through dance, and I believe it is a must-see.