5 stars

Pioneering South African choreographer and dance, Maqoma created “Cion: Requiem of Ravel’s Boléro” a few years ago, imaginatively setting his story inspired by South African literature against the music of Ravel’s famed orchestral piece, Boléro. Maqoma founded Vuyani Dance Theatre in 1999 with the vision to build a platform for South African artists, and in this performance he takes centre-stage playing Toloki, a professional mourner based on the protagonist of ‘Cion’ and ‘Ways of Dying’ by Zakes Mda. He is joined by eight other dancers, and together a piece unfolds exploring themes such as death, loss, and religion through the medium of dance. Maqoma created this rousing piece as a commentary on the political events of not only his home country, but similar ones globally.

The inspirations for this show couldn’t be more different – two pieces separated by continent, culture, and time. But the music, reimagined through percussion and voice, live by the Soweto Gospel Choir, suited the performance perfectly. In fact, the stirring, transformative harmonies of Siphiwe Nkabinde, Sbusiso Shozi, Simphiwe Bonongo, and Zandile Hlatshwayo was my favourite part and deserves a special mention.. Their singing was truly beautiful, and at times haunting. Nhlanhla Mahlangu was the music director who composed this interpretation of Boléro that this South African a cappella quartet sung.

I’m no expert when it comes to dance, but the intensity and dexterity, the changes from fast and energetic to slow and lamenting, the control and rhythm, dancing individually and then as one form – it was extraordinary. In particular, Maqoma’s solos were masterful. As soon as the dancers start moving, you’re completely entranced. I never thought I could sit still and watch people move like this, with no words, for 70 minutes straight, but the time flew so quickly – it felt like you were being hypnotised.

Set in a graveyard, the piece takes you through a journey of emotions that come with death in a modern world where “we have all become professional mourners”, according to Maqoma. This show will keep your brain ticking for hours after it’s over, and the subject matter was so relevant to this day and age. Unfortunately, the show was only at the Barbican for a few days, but the show encouraged me to expand my horizons when it comes to the arts. I’d recommend you look out for the next Vuyani Dance Theatre piece!