Next summer, Bike the UK for MS cyclists will be hitting the road once again as they pedal to raise funds and awareness for Multiple Sclerosis.

The charity, founded by University of Bath student James Whateley, started in 2014 following his experience of cycling across America as a 19 year old and meeting Bike the US for MS on route. Having met some incredible people living with MS, hearing their stories and seeing their outlook on life, he wanted others to experience the same – travelling the country, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, all whilst supporting those who need it most.

Five years on, Bike the UK for MS now offers a range of supported trips every summer including the classic John O’Groats to Land’s End and Sea to Sea routes. With no sign up fee and a manageable fundraising target, students from all across the country are signing up to explore the country on two wheels.

The charity works closely with the wider MS Society. On route, riders stop off with local MS groups allowing them to meet the communities their fundraising directly supports. Alongside the local support, Bike the UK for MS helps fund national research projects with the MS Society to one day Stop MS.

Hazel May, who was taken part in a ride with Bike the UK for MS, says:

“The rides and experiences that I have had are probably the most fun I have had on a bike. The scenery through Scotland was exquisite, as was witnessing an actual mermaid in a loch (a weird lady with a mermaid tail on flailing around in the shallows), these are things I will never forget. As we headed south, even better memories and friendships were made. In Bath, as with many of our stops on this trip, we met with MS societies and met the people who we were fundraising for. These meetings made the trip even more special and the miles mean so much more. The way the trips are organised means that everyday all you have to do is get up, eat and ride at your own pace. Therefore, this means you can blitz it from A to B or meander and find a spoons should you feel like it. The way the team works enables this level of flexibility and thus these trips are for everyone and I encourage everyone who has a bike to go and do any of the rides on offer.”

Feeling inspired? Go along to their information evening on 7th November 6:30pm in The City and Guilds Building - Lecture Theatre 640 (South Kensington campus) to find out more about the rides Bike the UK for MS has to offer.