This Sunday showed an impressive performance from 24 of Imperial’s multisport athletes at the Olympic Velopark, in the London Universities Relay Duathlon - the first race of the year. In teams of three they would compete against Kings and UCL, with each member completing a two-mile run, a six-mile bike and a one-mile run before passing on to the next. The gale force winds and torrential rain of the previous day had settled, and the first competitors lined up on the start line to prove themselves.

The starting horn blew and the race was underway. President David Ho started out fast, leading out the student branch of the competition and settling into fourth place overall. But the lead was not to last with mixed-gender team captain Cedric Ormond speeding past him on the first bike lap and holding the lead all the way to the end of the leg. Hot on their heels were Catherine Spurin of the Women’s first team and Leo Karlsson of the men’s seconds, making his Imperial debut having transferred from UCL this year.

Cedric passed on to new recruit Leo Maisonobe, who set off at a blistering pace to record the fastest student split of the day and second fastest overall. By the end of his lap the Imperial mixed firsts were ahead of the men, and in second place in the overall competition. Alex Wilson of the men’s firsts was moving up in the ranks though, overtaking to put him only just behind. Another debutante, Geraldine Regnier, showed off the bike skills she gained from a summer of touring to chase after the speedy UCL team occupying the lead women’s position.

Moving on to the final leg there was all to play for. Matt Ryan wasted no time closing the gap on the run, exiting the first transition neck-and-neck with first place. He gave a heroic chase on the bike, but on the day his professionally-sponsored opponent pulled away. He nonetheless emphatically secured victory in the universities category, finishing more than ten minutes ahead of the next competitors in the category (Imperial men’s 2nds). Armelle Briand, competing in her first duathlon, finished off the mixed first’s efforts in style. Women’s firsts captain Alice Duhem battled through some lap-counting issues to win second place in the universities category behind UCL, and third place overall.

The stream of bikes and runners thinned as the remaining competitors crossed the line, including many Imperial athletes in their first (but hopefully not last) multisport races. With zero injuries, zero rain and a fair few pieces of silverware, the winter season’s first race can be called a success.

Major results summary: Men’s Universities 1st, overall 2nd: David Ho, Alex Wilson, Matt Ryan Women’s Universities 2nd, overall 3rd place: Catherine Spurin, Geraldine Regnier, Alice Duhem Mixed Universities 2nd: Cedric Ormond, Leo Maisonobe, Armelle Briand Men’s Universities 2nd: Leo Karlsson, Ben McDonnell, Niall Woodward