End of year summer exams, nobody likes them. It is the best way to ruin the best season of the year and everyone dreads them. But now there’s something epic to look forward to, because this year, not only is there an end of year summer ball, but there’s a whole day of live performances to go with it.

Basically, the Union is planning a festival, with events scattered across the Imperial campus. Plans are underway for various activities to take place during the day, giving the Summer Ball a more ‘festival-esque’ feel.

The Union are going all out this year – not only are they adding in the all-day festival but they will have live music (including more student acts) on a large stage in Queen’s Lawn and a smaller stage in Princes Gardens. In addition to this there will be upmarket food and various other stalls.

The Union says that they’re moving away from the standard formal dinner approach and are trying something different this year. The possibility of collaborating with other London universities is also being considered, to make the event bigger and better than ever (and to have a wider range of acts).

Taking you back to your primary school summers, there are plans for more ‘fun-fair’-like activities to take place on the day of the ball and the Union aim for the festival to end with “enough time to finish your drinks and catch the tube home if you want” according to Deputy President (Finances & Services) Ravi Pall, with the after-party continuing after in FiveSixEight and Metric, as well as the Great Hall.

So when is this ultra-spectacular and unmissable event? The date for your diaries folks is the 18th of June (conveniently chosen as a date close to the end of exams so that all students can attend). It’ll undeniably be a great way to celebrate the end of another great year at Imperial.